Shocks and Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks and Springs

Any comments or opinions on shocks and springs for a WDX?

Could anyone recommend a new-replacement shock which looks similar to the original. How about a good source for quality replacement springs?

Also, looking at the front axle, I noticed that the right front shock mount was welded to the axle. The left front shock mount is not. Is this the correct setup?

You guessed it, I'm new to these fine trucks!

MontanaWDX

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Search is your friend:

Shocks: http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ead.php?t=6698

Springs: http://www.eatonsprings.com/ can make new ones. There are some others I've heard of but can't find them right now.

Comment

George,

I know Steven Fowler had a bunch of leaf springs made a couple of years ago. If you are not familiar with Steven, he runs an outfit called Power Wagons West. He can be emailed at stefwlr@aol.com

Vintage Power Wagons is always a top-notch source for good used takeoffs.

Comment

More spring problems

While replacing a damaged lower right rear shock mount, I noticed that the 3/8" center bolt through the spring pack looked odd, like it was tilted forwards, so I lifted the truck by the frame rails so the pack could relax a bit so I could check it out. The axle was supported by two jack stands and the wheels were off.

Once the frame was lifted enough, I could remove the first two bottom leaves. The first leaf (7 1/2" in length) was sitting far back on the axle rest and lifted off what looked like a pin. I thought this pin was the bolt head but it was stuck in place when tapped with a chisel.

The second leaf was still on the center bolt but this was about 1" further forward. So I believe the 3/8" bolt had sheared. At some point the axle must have gotten shoved back hard, moving the leaves and shearing the bolt and tilting the entire stack. The U bolt clamps look tired also.

I tried to remove the 3/8" nut on top of the stack but it sheared the bolt so the rest of it is stuck in the pack.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the head of the long center bolt sat in a hole at the center of the axle rest and that the center bolt should be perpendicular to the spring pack.

Mine looks like there is no hole in the center of the axle rest for the bolt head and what's left of my center bolt looks like it slants forward.

It's all going to come apart anyway since the center bolt is sheared in 2 places.

I guess if I just take the other side apart, I'll have all my questions answered. However the left side looks perfect so would rather leave it for now!

Comment

Working...
        X