Clutch Shaft Lubrication Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Shaft Lubrication Question

Should the bronze bushings at each end of the clutch shaft be lubricated before putting the shaft back in? I'm talking about the shaft that passes through the bell housing and has the integral fork which moves the throwout bearing.

The bushings have a "waffle-like" pattern on the inside. I assume they are oil-lite type bearings and shouldn't be lubricated, but I want to make sure before I put the transmission back in.

The clutch pedal bracket bushing has a grease fitting and should obviously be lubricated, but the bushing does not have the "waffle" pattern. And, the clutch shaft bushing do not have any means of lubricating them after assembly, so maybe they weren't intended to be lubricated.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by gmharris View Post
    Should the bronze bushings at each end of the clutch shaft be lubricated before putting the shaft back in? I'm talking about the shaft that passes through the bell housing and has the integral fork which moves the throwout bearing.

The bushings have a "waffle-like" pattern on the inside. I assume they are oil-lite type bearings and shouldn't be lubricated, but I want to make sure before I put the transmission back in.

The clutch pedal bracket bushing has a grease fitting and should obviously be lubricated, but the bushing does not have the "waffle" pattern. And, the clutch shaft bushing do not have any means of lubricating them after assembly, so maybe they weren't intended to be lubricated.

Thanks
    The left side has an oil hole, it is located in the cast piece that the bushing is pressed into. It should be oiled on a regular basis, such as scheduled maintenance intervals. The right side is an oilite material, but after years of service, all the oil is likely gone. The best thing to do is replace it with one of the newer types of lubricant impregnated bushings available today while you have it down, newer types of bearing material hold their lube better, longer, and will wear much longer than the old oilite bronze. The one on the left probanly needs a replacement also if you have not been oiling it regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
      The left side has an oil hole, it is located in the cast piece that the bushing is pressed into. It should be oiled on a regular basis, such as scheduled maintenance intervals. The right side is an oilite material, but after years of service, all the oil is likely gone. The best thing to do is replace it with one of the newer types of lubricant impregnated bushings available today while you have it down, newer types of bearing material hold their lube better, longer, and will wear much longer than the old oilite bronze. The one on the left probanly needs a replacement also if you have not been oiling it regularly.
      Thanks Charles. As usual, you have some good information.

While looking at a similar bushing, I noticed that the label said "graphite impregnated". In examining the bushing, I can see that the dimples hold a lubricant (graphite) in the small depressions. Neat way of lubricating the bushing over an extended period.

I can see that the housing for the left bushing has a place where the housing can be drilled for a Zerk fitting, but mine has not been drilled and fitted with one. Since, this bushing receives more load than the other, I can see the benefit of having a Zerk fitting there.

Given that I also installed a graphite impregnated bushing in this housing, I will probably not drill it for a Zerk fitting. This truck has seen the last of its hard work days and I think the grease would interfere with the graphite.

By the way, the Zerk fitting is named after Oscar Zerk, the inventor of the Zerk fitting in 1928.

Comment

I can see that the housing for the left bushing has a place where the housing can be drilled for a Zerk fitting, but mine has not been drilled and fitted with one. Since, this bushing receives more load than the other, I can see the benefit of having a Zerk fitting there.
        I believe there is supposed to be a "wick" on the left, which is oiled rather than greased.. I don't remember where I got belief, and I have tape over the hole on my truck, as I am missing the wick, and don't want grit getting in there until I get that aspect sorted out..

Comment

When I go through a bell housing and replace the clutch fork bushings, I install a zerk for each bushing. Some bell housings already have a boss in the casting for this purpose.

C.D.

Thanks
          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
          2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
          1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
          1954 Ford 860 tractor
          1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
          UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Working...
          X