Engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine swap

I have just acquired a used Cummins 4BT 3.9 engine and am thinking about the wisdom of replacing the engine in my B1PW. It currently has a 251 c.i. I seem to recall at least one story, perhaps two, about diesel swaps in Power Wagons, in past Power Wagon Advertisers. Does anyone remember those stories? Were they 4BT's? Have you made this conversion?

Thanks

Bill Cheney

It's actually one of the more common engines used for a swap, not the cheapest, but it's a great fit both physically and in capability for the truck. I plan to do the same swap eventually.

Check out the 4btswaps forum for just about everything you could want to know about the engine. There are a few there who have put them into Power Wagons and M37s (along with just about everything else).

Paul in NY on that forum has done both a PW and an M37 and is working on another now. His web site has lots of info and he's very helpful if you have questions.

And of course our own Charles Talbert has made an art out of doing that same swap.

Another good site is Gabe's, he did the same in his M37.

Comment

Cummins engine swap

Thanks for all that information Desoto61. From a quick perusal there is plenty to work with, but first I have to determine if the engine is worth rebuilding. It came out of a salmon purse seine power skiff, so it has a water cooled exhaust manifold and a few other marine modifications. I'll clean it and take a close inspection.

Thanks again,
      Bill Cheney
      Kake, Alaska

Comment

Boat engines work VERY hard compared to those in road service- the fuel consumption is typically "gallons per hour". Boat engines used in saltwater with saltwater cooling systems often have serious internal corrosion- I'd look this unit over quite thoroughly before going to the work of an engine conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by wlcheney View Post
          I have just acquired a used Cummins 4BT 3.9 engine and am thinking about the wisdom of replacing the engine in my B1PW. It currently has a 251 c.i. I seem to recall at least one story, perhaps two, about diesel swaps in Power Wagons, in past Power Wagon Advertisers. Does anyone remember those stories? Were they 4BT's? Have you made this conversion?

Thanks

Bill Cheney
          Swaps involving both Hercules and Cummins 4-cylinders have been covered in the magazine.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
          X