power wagon VS job rated/fargo trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power wagon VS job rated/fargo trucks

hello just wondering if anyone knew what is all compatible between the old dodge grain trucks and the power wagons, mostly drivetrain related. are the engines, trannys the same? carburators?

tonka

these are the trucks i am talking about. there is two pics of each engine. where is the ID markings on the engine so i can tell what they are?

Comment

Comment

The green truck on the left is probably a 1940 WF. Look here for the engine number.

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/ot...herengines.php

The red truck on the right is probably a 1946-47 WF. It had a factory new replacement engine installed at one time. The aluminum tag that is riveted on by the number one cylinder should have a three digit model code on it. If you get that number for me I should be able to tell you the vintage and displacement. It also has a Spitfire head on it which somebody installed at some point. This engine probably doesn't have a number stamped on the pad like an original engine would.

The flathead sixes were commonly swapped around. Most of the time you'll find a passenger car engine in these trucks.

Comment

holy tons of info!!!! thanks for the link thats gonna help a ton. is the spitfire head worth anything? whats the deal with that is it a high preformance head or something?

Comment

ok the green one has T-98-9570 stamped on the block. so going by the link its a 228ci and 25in long from 1940. the little alluminum tag on the red one was blank so i dunno, the spitfire head has raised casting numbers on it not sure if they would help.

Comment

Oops! I just caught a mistake I made. The 1940 would be a VF if its a U.S. truck. Are these U.S. or Canadian trucks?

That aluminum tag was only used on new factory replacement engines that I know of. If you get the tag into different lighting or look at it from different angles you might be able to read the model number.

Comment

The "Spitfire" head really didn't do anything for performance- it was basically a marketing gimmick. The best performance head for a 230 is the '58-59 8:1 compression head- it breathes better than previous 230 models. Search "Late Model 230 Head" for pics and casting #.

Comment

well they are currently in the US but we are right on the canadian border so i have no clue if they came from a us or canadian plant. they arent my trucks yet im just trying to decide if they are worth buying. would you guys pay 200 bucks a piece for them? niether runs. do you guys know if the carburators would be the same on these trucks as in the power wagons? would these engines just bolt right up in a power wagon or is there a bunch of work to make them fit? kinda hard to answer without being here i know.

Comment

Originally posted by tonkaman View Post
                    well they are currently in the US but we are right on the canadian border so i have no clue if they came from a us or canadian plant. they arent my trucks yet im just trying to decide if they are worth buying. would you guys pay 200 bucks a piece for them? niether runs. do you guys know if the carburators would be the same on these trucks as in the power wagons? would these engines just bolt right up in a power wagon or is there a bunch of work to make them fit? kinda hard to answer without being here i know.
                    Ignoring the specifics of transportation, I would say yes.
                    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

maybe im to greedy but im trying to get him a little lower on them

Comment

Originally posted by tonkaman View Post
                        No the carbs are not the same as they used in the power wagons. and the engine would not bolt right in with out some work. The bell housings and front motor mounts are going to be different than a Power Wagon. If you use the Power Wagon bell housing and front motor mount then they would pretty much bolt in but both of those trucks will have the longer blocks in them, and power wagons from 1946-1960 used the short block motors, so to put one of the long block motors in would require a good amount of work, moving the radiator forward, ect,,

I would buy them if they were in my backyard for $200 each truck, I saw a pair of trucks like that somewhere between Sweetgrass and Conrad, MT on my way to Alberta last summer. Both of the trucks I saw were on the West side of the interstate. I did not have time to investigate. What part of Montana do you live in? I may be making another trip up the area of Southern Alberta, Northern Montana late spring or early summer. If both trucks are still around I would be interested in them. Shoot me an email if you are interested in talking off the forum mattsoldmopars@yahoo.com Hope to talk to you soon.
                        Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mattsoldmopars View Post
                          No the carbs are not the same as they used in the power wagons. and the engine would not bolt right in with out some work. The bell housings and front motor mounts are going to be different than a Power Wagon. If you use the Power Wagon bell housing and front motor mount then they would pretty much bolt in but both of those trucks will have the longer blocks in them, and power wagons from 1946-1960 used the short block motors, so to put one of the long block motors in would require a good amount of work, moving the radiator forward, ect,,

I would buy them if they were in my backyard for $200 each truck, I saw a pair of trucks like that somewhere between Sweetgrass and Conrad, MT on my way to Alberta last summer. Both of the trucks I saw were on the West side of the interstate. I did not have time to investigate. What part of Montana do you live in? I may be making another trip up the area of Southern Alberta, Northern Montana late spring or early summer. If both trucks are still around I would be interested in them. Shoot me an email if you are interested in talking off the forum mattsoldmopars@yahoo.com Hope to talk to you soon.
                          Matt
                          well i ended up getting them yesterdday for 175 each. they are rusted out really bad, and are plump full of mice. im parting them out as i type this, im taking out everything from the cab as well as doors and hood headlights ect. if you are still intereseted in the drivetrain let me know. the cabsa re hammered pretty hard, hey have beed weled up a time or two and the header above the dash in them is rotted out really bad. when im done they are headed to the scrap yard.

Comment

send me a email please, I would be interested in a few parts before they go to the scrap yard. Thanks Matt

Comment

ok so new question, would the engines from the above trucks bolt up in the truck below? or would the power wagon engine bolt up to the below truck? and are the fenders and grilles the same on the above and below trucks?

Comment

Working...
                              X