Power Wagon Ignition Key Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Wagon Ignition Key Questions

I have a '48 Power Wagon with the the original ignition switch which I would like to keep. However, there is no key.

Can the average locksmith make a key for these locks? Can anyone recommend a place that has successfully keyed one of these locks?

I would appreciate it if someone would post a picture of an original key. Are these keys still available from any source?

Does anyone have the code for the key blank? Was the same ignition switch/key used throughout the PW production? What years of other Dodge trucks and cars used the same key blank?

Does anyone know the lock manufacture's name? Was this same ignition switch used in other applications or by other vehicle manufactures?

I know that this is a lot of questions, but the answer to one of them may lead to me resolving the problem. The answer to any of the questions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Keys

Today I picked up my door lock from the locksmith. I dropped it off to have a key made. Once the found the right key blank, they do whats called a scratch key. They insert the key, wiggle it around enough to scratch the key blank. Then they cut out the scratches and do it again and again and again.

They used anout 4 blanks before they got it right. Cost me...$25.00 and the key works fine.

Steve in NJ

Comment

All I can help you with is that my 47 had an aftermarket ign. switch in it and I kept it.
      I did however take the door lock cylinder to a local lock smith and he made a key for it. From what I understand the ign,and door lock took the same key.
      I may be wrong though.
      Point is if he could make one for the door they should have no problem with the ign.
      All I told him was that it was a 1947 Dodge Truck.
      TGP
      WDX & Misc. Pics.
      http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
      "47" Dodge WDX WW
      "52" Dodge M-37 WW
      "54" Willys M38A1
      "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
      "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
      "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
      "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
      "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
      "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

'48 Power Wagon Ignition Key

Thanks Tom and Steve for the input.

A local locksmith was able to cut a new key for the ignition switch since the lock is a standard pin tumbler design.

The locksmith says the hard part is find is finding the right key blank. He says they routinely discard key blanks that are not in demand. Just not worth keeping them in stock.

The narrow key which is used in the old Power Wagon ignition switch is becoming harder to find. He can special order new blanks from a warehouse in Chicago, but as they become harder to find, the cost goes up. He says that some key blanks now fetch $9.00, if he can find them.

The key blanks used for my ignition were Ilco 1125H H5, which looks like it might be similar to an old key, and Keil 58F, which is a round head key.

Comment

What was the final cost to have the ing. key made?

Steve

Comment

I had an original and two duplicate keys made. The cost was about $23.00, including the duplicates.

The duplicate keys were $2.50 a piece. The locksmith only had a few left.

Now, when I decide which door I'm going to use, I will try to have that lock matched to the keys. I don't know if the door lock is also a pin tumbler lock.

Comment

Crossover ignition key blanks

Originally posted by gmharris View Post
              Thanks Tom and Steve for the input.

A local locksmith was able to cut a new key for the ignition switch since the lock is a standard pin tumbler design.

The locksmith says the hard part is find is finding the right key blank. He says they routinely discard key blanks that are not in demand. Just not worth keeping them in stock.

The narrow key which is used in the old Power Wagon ignition switch is becoming harder to find. He can special order new blanks from a warehouse in Chicago, but as they become harder to find, the cost goes up. He says that some key blanks now fetch $9.00, if he can find them.

The key blanks used for my ignition were Ilco 1125H H5, which looks like it might be similar to an old key, and Keil 58F, which is a round head key.
              In case anybody's looking for ignition key blanks. These are crossover blanks from other manufacturers that are the same:

Curtis H5
              Dominion 125H
              ESP 1125H
              Ilco 1125H
              Ilco EZ H5
              Old Ilco H12
              Original 9026
              Silca BA7R
              Star HFD7
              Taylor 125H

Comment

Key Blanks

Thanks. I'm going to be looking for these for my grandson's 1950 next spring once the snow melts off it.

Comment

Key Codes??

Does anybody know if the door and ignition key codes were recorded somewhere on the vehicle, on a plate, or stamped somewhere. I don't have a door key and dont want to remove the lock to key/rekey. Thanks.

Comment

The Mopar part number for the lock set (ignition and door lock) is 1189 666. The tumbler that fits in the switch is made by Hurd. I have a NOS key with a tag that is stamped HY078. I don't know if that wil be of any help to you. Hurd also manufactured locks for Ford and Studebaker. Keys and locks routinely come up on eBay. I hope this doesn't mess anybody up, but there is an auction taking place right now, for example, at the link below.http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MOPAR-IG...r#ht_500wt_949
                    Switches vary. Be sure to study your lock so that it matches the kind of switch you have.
                    Last edited by John Waak; 12-02-2011, 05:15 PM. Reason: Added information
                    John

Comment

There are currently a few sets of ignition and door lock sets on ebay.
                      My question is, they are all two door lock sets. I realize the Power Wagon only used one on my year, 1948, and it was on the passenger side, for getting out on the passenger side, away from traffic. How does the driver side door lock if theres no tumbler??

And for you purists, which is better? The door locks in the door skin, on both sides, one side, or replace them with the handles that Vintage has with the tumblers in the handles?

Thanks
                      Nick

Maybe Ill do a poll...

Comment

Though this thread is about 2 1/2 years old; a few years ago Ilco blank 1125H..H5 was available at Ace Hardware. This was on Long Island, NY. Seemed to be quite a few still in stock.

Comment

The key that came with my PW didn't work. I took the lock out of the truck and left it at a Locksmith. Took him a day to figure it out and make a key that works. Got a couple of extras. Total was less than $25.

Comment

Working...
                          X