Clutch Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Issues

I have a 1952 B-3-PW that is garaged in the Northeast. The truck is restored and driven infrequently. I had an problem last summer during humid weather, when I went to start the truck after sitting a few weeks the clutch would not disengage when the pedal was depressed. You could start the truck in neutral, but with the clutch depressed when you try to get it in gear all kinds of grinding, etc. With the engine off you could get the truck in gear and after bumping the starter and lurching the truck a few times it would disengage and everthing would go back to normal. The clutch appears to be properly adjusted and works just fine....unless the truck has been sitting for a while during the humid summer months. I have no trouble at all during the Fall-Winter-Spring seasons.

I would appreciate any advice....Thanks,

Eric

Originally posted by Sixaxle View Post
    I have a 1952 B-3-PW that is garaged in the Northeast. The truck is restored and driven infrequently. I had an problem last summer during humid weather, when I went to start the truck after sitting a few weeks the clutch would not disengage when the pedal was depressed. You could start the truck in neutral, but with the clutch depressed when you try to get it in gear all kinds of grinding, etc. With the engine off you could get the truck in gear and after bumping the starter and lurching the truck a few times it would disengage and everthing would go back to normal. The clutch appears to be properly adjusted and works just fine....unless the truck has been sitting for a while during the humid summer months. I have no trouble at all during the Fall-Winter-Spring seasons.

I would appreciate any advice....Thanks,

Eric
    Typical occurance, the high humidity causes surface rust on the flywheel and pressure plate which causes the clutch disc to stick tightly to them. The best solution is to drive it more often to keep the rust cleared. I doesn't happen in cold weather because of low or no humidity.

Comment

Preventing this problem...

This problem is so common that my tractor has a hook that is used to hold down the clutch pedal so that the clutch disk does not contact the fly wheel when the tractor is not in use.

To prevent this happening again on your Power Wagon, cut a piece of wood that you can jam in place to hold the clutch pedal down.

Comment

Would blocking the clutch pedal down weaken or shorten lifespan of pressure plate springs in the long run? Just curious.

Could something such as alcohol be sprayed up in there before storage, or would that damage lining of the clutch disk?

Bucky

Comment

You are correct, the pedal being pressed down constantly will over time virtually destroy the springs in the pressure plate assy. I know of no cure for the sticking problem that isn't detrimental in some way or other. Blocking the pedal down will keep it from happening, I guess you'll have to decide which is the lesser of the evils. You can replace the pressure plate prematurely or put up with the sticking issue. The better solution though is to drive it more often.

Comment

Let's go for a spin!

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
            The better solution though is to drive it more often.
            And that's not a bad thing to have to do! I have an older vehicle that's not liscensed nor legal to drive on the street and as with most projects always is in a constant start of repair. But no matter what, I make it a point to start & drive (even if on jackstands) this vehicle a minimum of once a month just to keep every thing in proper working order. It too is stored indoors. Brakes, steering, clutch, transmission, t-case, differentials & even the wipers get a workout. Sometimes thing will wear out (decline in functionality) more from sitting than from actual use.

Bucky

Comment

I'm not qualified to second guess the engneers.

The hook for the clutch pedal was designed by the engineers. It appears that the clutch is not held to the maximum movement - just enough to keep the disc away from the fly wheel surface. I only use it when I expect a longer interval between use.

Of course, the tractor, clutch, et al was not designed or built in the USA, China, India, or Europe. Maybe my tractor had better clutch springs since the clutch still handles the diesel power after 12 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Cook View Post
                The hook for the clutch pedal was designed by the engineers. It appears that the clutch is not held to the maximum movement - just enough to keep the disc away from the fly wheel surface. I only use it when I expect a longer interval between use.

Of course, the tractor, clutch, et al was not designed or built in the USA, China, India, or Europe. Maybe my tractor had better clutch springs since the clutch still handles the diesel power after 12 years.
                Only a slight disengagement wouldn't be as big a deal I don't believe. Might not be a bad deal to give that a shot in the truck as the sticking can really get to be annoying.

Comment

Clutch Issues

Thanks all for the help....

Eric

Comment

Working...
                  X