Windshield crank removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield crank removal

Okay I give, What is the secret to removing the crank on the windshield Regulator??
    I cant find a set screw and before I do something that I regret I figured I better admit defeat and ask.

There is a set screw,not to say there also isn't a trick to it after 60 years very well could also just be stuck.John

Comment

It's odd that you have no set screw. Is it possible that a previous owner made some modifications to keep it from falling off and now it won't come off at all?

My first thought is that maybe your crank is not original and may be attached in a more permanent fashion than a set screw.

Comment

Is the handle, by any chance, painted? It should have a plated finish. If it's painted, the set screw may have been covered.

Or, someone may have pushed (hammered) a pin into the set screw hole to replace a stripped out screw.

Or, as Kevin suggested, the handle may not be the original and someone may have epoxied a replacement on.

Comment

Originally posted by gmharris View Post
          Is the handle, by any chance, painted? It should have a plated finish. If it's painted, the set screw may have been covered.

Or, someone may have pushed (hammered) a pin into the set screw hole to replace a stripped out screw.

Or, as Kevin suggested, the handle may not be the original and someone may have epoxied a replacement on.

I took a look at the handles I have. Each has a raised area around the set screw. It would be impossible to miss this on the style of handles that I have.

Unless there were a variety of handles, you probably don't have an original PW handle.

Comment

Yep Painted none original handle, The paint filled the set screw. And somebody used JB Weld to stick it on. Thanks Guys

Comment

Working...
            X