b2-pw-126 windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• b2-pw-126 windshield

How do you open the windshield, Is the Tee handle supposed to be horizontal or vertical and then do you just push on windshield. There is a round rod hanging down, center of truck under dash does it have anything to do with it

The rod under the dash you are referring to is probably the handle that opens the vent on the cowl.

The windshield should open when you turn the handle several turns. Sometimes, you may have to help the mechanism a little by pushing on the windshield, but that's not the way it's supposed to work.

More often than not, the mechanism is stuck due to lack of lubrication and dirt. If you try to force it, you can strip the gears or the handle. Best to remove the mechanisms and clean and lube it before causing any (further) damage.

These are pretty cheaply made mechanisms and forcing them just won't work.

Make sure the windshield hinges (behind the wiper motor covers) are free. On one of my trucks, one of the hinges was frozen.

If you can remove the two screws attaching the stainless steel strap to the center of the window without breaking them (most of the time you can't), it will make trouble shooting easier.

Eventually, you will probably have to remove these screws. Put some penetrating oil on them now so that when you do try to remove them, you stand a better chance of them coming out.

Comment

shot some penetrating oil in the general direction of crank mechanism kept working handle and got windshield open in about 30 min. Works great now.

Comment

broken blots

Originally posted by gmharris View Post
        The rod under the dash you are referring to is probably the handle that opens the vent on the cowl.

The windshield should open when you turn the handle several turns. Sometimes, you may have to help the mechanism a little by pushing on the windshield, but that's not the way it's supposed to work.

More often than not, the mechanism is stuck due to lack of lubrication and dirt. If you try to force it, you can strip the gears or the handle. Best to remove the mechanisms and clean and lube it before causing any (further) damage.

These are pretty cheaply made mechanisms and forcing them just won't work.

Make sure the windshield hinges (behind the wiper motor covers) are free. On one of my trucks, one of the hinges was frozen.

If you can remove the two screws attaching the stainless steel strap to the center of the window without breaking them (most of the time you can't), it will make trouble shooting easier.

Eventually, you will probably have to remove these screws. Put some penetrating oil on them now so that when you do try to remove them, you stand a better chance of them coming out.
        I was very unsure of what to do with My windshield & frame if you do brake the bolts off I found it very easy to drill out the rest of the broken blot it is a #10 32 threads to the inch or a 10/32 blot than tap out the hole & replace with stainless bolts the 2 square pins on the sides are (or were easy on My 56 pw ) easy to separate by taking a large screwdriver or drift & hammering gently until they came apart at the divtion between the 2 haves

Comment

I have my windshield so it opens very easy. Now after I take out the two bottom bolts how do I seperate the windshield from the hinges so I can take the windshield apart to replace the the glass paint it and replace all the bolts. Also where can I get a new gasket (the one that goes between the windshield frame and the opening in the cab).

Comment

To take out the windshield you unbolt it from the hinges behind the wiper covers. The curved pieces stay with the windshield frame.

You can just see the heads of the bolts in the picture.

Once its out there are screws on each side about mid way between top and bottom. You can see the seam in the picture.

Again, lots of penetrating fluid will probably be needed, wax seems to work well too. There is a piece of key stock that joins the two halves. You really only have to remove two screws from each side to take it apart. You may want to remove the other two to treat the inside of the frame though.

The strip in the center is protective/decrative and gets removed as one piece. I don't think there's any fasteners in the center piece, but I don't remember off the top of my head. Regardless it's not complex, just takes some care, time, and probably some sort of tool to help break the seal around the glass.

As for the gasket I think VPW has them, I think there are a few other places.

Comment

Found a better photo

You can see the two brackets attached to the frame that bolt to the hinges, and can make out the four screws that hold the two frame halves together on either side of the frame. Looks like there is also a fastener at the top of the frame (bottom of picture) in the center post as well.

Gordon asked about the wax trick. I haven't had a chance to test this myself yet but others have had good results.

Posted by Paul (in NY) on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 at 21:42:41 :
              In Reply to: Rusted Bolts posted by John Pierce on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 at 21:23:04 :
              I have had very good luck with heat and a candle !
              Heat the bolt/nut until its just hot enough to make the candle wax melt and run. Heat the fastener and then tough [touch] it with the candle. Let it cool a little and do it again. The candle wax will suck into the joint and in 'many' cases allow you to loosen it in the normal manner. If you get the fastener so hot the wax smokes and burns your to hot and no wax is penetrating into the threaded joint, its just burning off.
              On small fasteners a propane torch will probably do the job. On larger fasteners, MAPP will heat it quicker. I cant tell you how fast propane or MAPP will heat as I use a Oxy/ACET torch for my heating.
              You can also buy Nut Splitters at good Auto Supply Stores. The tool goes over the nut and then you crank the sharp cutting wedge into the nut with a wrench. The nut splits on one side and can ten be easily removed.
              Since you ask about Propane or MAPP, I gather you dont have Oxy/Acet and could cut them off.
              Paul

Comment

I've used Paul's wax method and find it to work well.John

Comment

Working...
                X