1 ton frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 ton frame

just got all the stuff off the frame. Thought to share a pic. One small crack in the usual place. Has anyone really tried taking out some of the springs on this beast and putting in a shock?

parts r parts

Started work on the powertrain

Comment

cab pic

heres my cab. it has had the top replaced.
      Last edited by Gordon Maney; 05-10-2010, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Engine pic

Just took it out. It has the original spark plugs in it i think! am soaking those babys in knock r loose before i try anything!

Comment

rear shocks were an option. you can find a set if you ask around on the forums.

Comment

The seam above the windshield looks good. Where was the top cut and spliced?

I don't think I would suggest removing spring leaves. Do you mean the rear, or front?
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

spring leaves

I was thinking, wondering, there seems to be lots of talk on the forums but not a lot of action when it comes to removing some of the springs from the rear in order to soften the ride, then putting on some shock absorbers to even out the bounce that would be affected due to less springs tension. right now king kong could jump off the back end of this thing and the springs wouldn't give. I know simply removing springs is not what to do, but remove and replace with steel sections to create a block would keep truck at same height. Im trying to make a daily driver out of this and am afraid at my mid age that the ride is going to beat my back to death, making me not enjoy the truck as much....

Comment

Originally posted by oprod View Post
                I was thinking, wondering, there seems to be lots of talk on the forums but not a lot of action when it comes to removing some of the springs from the rear in order to soften the ride, then putting on some shock absorbers to even out the bounce that would be affected due to less springs tension. Right now king kong could jump off the back end of this thing and the springs wouldn't give.

I know simply removing springs is not what to do, but remove and replace with steel sections to create a block would keep truck at same height. Im trying to make a daily driver out of this and am afraid at my mid age that the ride is going to beat my back to death, making me not enjoy the truck as much....
                I had asked if you meant front or rear. From your remarks I am thinking you mean rear. My remark about not removing leaves was really prompted by my observation that they are not so heavily sprung on the front.

If your interest in the truck is to drive it and have fun, and you have no intention of hauling heavy loads, then I think your plan in fine. Ride height is determined more by spring arch than pack thickness. So, initially, you might experiment by removing leaves and see how it rides.

How many leaves do you have, and does only one have eyes?

Without an answer, I might remove two leaves and have them not be adjacent [not be two leaves currently next to one another], and have them be from the shorter end of the pack, rather than the longer end.

This will be a fun experiment. Your observation that they beat you to death is not far from the truth. The M37's and 1/2 ton WC's ride a lot better than the Power Wagons.

If you have a truck spring fabricator anywere near you it may be that they could offer some very useful comment, too.
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

thanks

Your insight follows mine so far on this. i was thinking of just taking it all down to the spring fabricators shop and having him make up a new replacement set that is lighter sprung... or as you say seeing what his view points are on this. I will experiment around and report back here so at least there will be some documentation in the archives.

Comment

Power Wagon frame question

While working on my truck to get it drivable, I observed that the frame might be slightly twisted along it's longitudinal axis.

I was wondering how difficult it is to set these sturdy chassis back into alignment. I know that body shops have the equipment but these frames look like they might fight back.

I imagine that my truck, like many others has seen tough work. My truck should have kept the original "Farm Utility" name.

Any advice is much appreciated.

ps. regarding shocks, I used Monroe's sold by VPW, available also on line or at NAPA. A good source for springs and advice is Eaton Detroit

Comment

Anyone have the monroe part number for our front shocks so I can get them locally

Comment

rear shock numbers too!

A number on rear shocks would be handy too!

I dont believe the stripped frame would be difficult for the body shop to straighten out.

Comment

Monroe #66707 I believe, is the shock, for both front and rear

Comment

From another site:
                            for a B1B Front Shocks at AutoZone Monroe #410126 guardian shock
                            Rear Shocks at AutoZone Monroe #078476 proguard shock
                            '53 B4C. Got them at Autozone - Part No. 82065 for both front and rear. Gabriel Guardians - $16.99 each

Comment

Shocks

Originally posted by olgraybeard View Post
                              Anyone have the monroe part number for our front shocks so I can get them locally

The shocks VPW sold me were :
                              Monroe 66957 Gas-Magnum 60 Shock Absorber

Comment

Working...
                              X