too long of rubber :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too long of rubber :)

Tried to put my new windshield rubber(gasket) from vpw and it is way too long. This was on a 48 b-1-pw. I know this has been a problem in the past and their are many posts on this subject. I have not contacted VPW as they were closed by the time I got back from the shop. I thought that they had this problem resolved but I guess not.....

here is a link to so pictures.

http://imageevent.com/ingramt_roy/windshieldrubber

I haven't put one in/on for about 7 years so I guess it is true that things sag and stretch with age. :)

T-roy
    Attached Files

I just got one about a week ago, I haven't tried to put it on yet. Please post what happens.

Comment

update

I talked with Jens today at VPW. He said all of these are hand made on a mold and they vary in size by 2 inches. I didn't realize that these winshield frames vary in size from the manufacturer. VPW has the replacement rubber made at an average size. One option was to cut the extra rubber at a 45 degree angle and secure with 3M adhesive.

Jens was great and offered to send a replacement right out and see if it will be a better. I have my fingers crossed this new one will be a better fit as I have never had good luck with the cut to fit method.

Hats off to VPW for trying to help!!!!!!! Thanks

T-roy

Comment

Bumper, I looked at the pictures closely and it looks like the gasket may be in backwards, the round smooth part should be on the outside, anyway it may be just the way the picture was taken. look at it closely, it's very easy to do. as you install the gasket push the gasket together like you are trying to compress it, you will find that when you get to the end it won't be anywhere near as long as it was!! (first hand knowedge) cutting is a last resort. hope it works out and this helps, Dave.

Comment

Bumper,
          I agree with Dave. It is REALLY easy to put it in backwards, I know as I did it. THe smooth side should be "out". THe ridged side is inward.
          One other thing. TO get my windshield to close properly I had to shim it down 1/8" from the upper hinge mount. THe retractor would not go all the way back in without doing this. Someone posted here that he also had to do that.

Comment

I have to dissaggree!!!!!!!!!1

pw dave,

This particular gasket is way to long. It is hard to tell from the pictures but, there is no way to compress that much material.

Not to start another debate but the smooth side of the gasket goes toward the inside (toward the inside of the cab and driver). I have 6 of these frames (4 of which are in trucks) ---2 in original trucks---- and all of them are the same way. The side with the ridges actually comform around the frame on the outside. The smooth side curves a bit in toward the cab when installed. This is why you need to "train" it to lay flat against the cab by keeping the windshield closed for a week or so.

I will try to get some better pictures of original trucks to show this mounting.

We actually had this debate years ago at the vpw rally and found a lot of gaskets both ways but the original trucks always had the flat side in towards the driver and the lip on the outside conforming to the frame (as in the following picture)

I have a good picture from Dan M of the frame and you can then see how the molding actually fits---

Anyway VPW is sending a new gasket to try.

T-roy

T-roy
            Attached Files

Comment

So are all six of the other frames different lengths as to the reason for different length rubber?
              I'm having a hard time buying into that theory as why none of there rubber fit's properly.
              I know in 04 my rubber from Vintage had to be stretched to fit the frame,and was told not to over stretch it.
              A few friends since have bought there rubber from Robert's and fit the same way "Snug" like a glove,after putting up with your type problem.
              I'm Glad Jen's is making it right for you.
              They have always been square with me too.
              TGP
              WDX & Misc. Pics.
              http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
              "47" Dodge WDX WW
              "52" Dodge M-37 WW
              "54" Willys M38A1
              "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
              "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
              "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
              "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
              "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
              "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Just don't unroll the rubber all the way (so I'm told)....

Originally posted by Bumper View Post
                I talked with Jens today at VPW. He said all of these are hand made on a mold and they vary in size by 2 inches. I didn't realize that these winshield frames vary in size from the manufacturer. VPW has the replacement rubber made at an average size. One option was to cut the extra rubber at a 45 degree angle and secure with 3M adhesive.

Jens was great and offered to send a replacement right out and see if it will be a better. I have my fingers crossed this new one will be a better fit as I have never had good luck with the cut to fit method.

Hats off to VPW for trying to help!!!!!!! Thanks

T-roy
                T-roy. You definitely have the seal installed correctly. The rib in the rubber is formed to correctly curl around the bead at the edge of the frame. Your photos of original seals tell the story very well.

I have installed one windshield seal - back in 1980. I remember that it was no fun. It too appeared to be too long (but not that much too long). One trick I found was to install the seal at all four corners first, then work your way from two adjoining corners to the center. This should help distribute the excess equally to all four straight sections.

Now here is where I am confused. Are they saying that the windshield frames were all handmade and vary in size by a couple of inches? Or, are they saying that the seals are handmade and can vary in size? If they feel that the original windshields varied in size that much, I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. I have copies of original engineering drawings. These windshield frames were all built to within tolerances. They may have been formed around tooling by hand, but they were trimmed to exact sizes to fit together and to fit all the cabs which were also formed with tooling.

Comment

the repro rubber is hand made

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                  T-roy. You definitely have the seal installed correctly. The rib in the rubber is formed to correctly curl around the bead at the edge of the frame. Your photos of original seals tell the story very well.

I have installed one windshield seal - back in 1980. I remember that it was no fun. It too appeared to be too long (but not that much too long). One trick I found was to install the seal at all four corners first, then work your way from two adjoining corners to the center. This should help distribute the excess equally to all four straight sections.

Now here is where I am confused. Are they saying that the windshield frames were all handmade and vary in size by a couple of inches? Or, are they saying that the seals are handmade and can vary in size? If they feel that the original windshields varied in size that much, I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. I have copies of original engineering drawings. These windshield frames were all built to within tolerances. They may have been formed around tooling by hand, but they were trimmed to exact sizes to fit together and to fit all the cabs which were also formed with tooling.
                  Clint, Jens told me VPW rubbers are all individually hand made 1 at a time around a pattern "frame". He said they used an average size for the mesurement.

I didn't understand it when I talked to him on the phone this morning so I can't really explain it typing it here. All I know is he is sending another to try.

It doesn't really show up in the pictures very well but this particular rubber was way to big. It must have been stretched a lot before I got it. I layed it in place on the frame and it was about 2 inched to long topand bottom from the corners. It hung paste the frame end from top to bottom.

Just for kicks -- I measured 4 on my frames this afternoon and they are all the same.

This answers Tom's question.

I have added more pictures to show correct install

http://imageevent.com/ingramt_roy/wi...64nh22.eagle_s

T-roy

Comment

Update

Got the replacement windshield rubber from VPW today.

When I sized them up, side by side, the 1st one I got was about 2 inches longer.

I put the new one on tonight and actually had to stretch it just a weeee bit.

Thanks again to VPW for taking care of the issue.

PS I only cussed a few times tonight putting the rubber on.!!!! :)

T-roy

Comment

Working...
                    X