No announcement yet.

46 Power Wagon Restoration pt. 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have done that many times, it is a great way to turn a 3D shape into a 2D cutout. Most of the brackets and such were templates that way. But some of the curves in these stampings its just easier to try and save it vs starting from scratch.

Comment

• templates

clear plastic, cut up 2 liter soda bottles makes great templates, the nice thing is being able to see through it, makes it really easy to transfer holes.

Comment

• Floors and dash.

With the trans cover modified I went ahead and installed the side panels too so I could see how everything fit. I have a feeling like everything else I'm going to do something a little custom here. I'd like them to extend back a little further around the transfer case hump and I don't need some of the openings for floor peddles and such but these will make good templates to start from.

I didn't want to weld up all the access holes in the floor in case I ever actually needed to use them. So I cut some access pannels and then drilled and tapped holes and screwed them down with some stainless machine screws. Not sure if the metal is thick enough to hold long term, I may tack weld some nuts to the bottom side of the floor.

The hardest part of the interior is trying to decide. There is a lot that needs to go into it and not a lot of space to do it. I have been trying to lay out the dashboard. I have a drawing for my guage panel, but everything else still needs a location. The tape allows you to lay out the plan and if you don't like it just pull it off and start again.

I was originally thinking of putting the vents in the dash, but now I'm thinking they may go under it in some pods so I can use that space for the climate controls, and maybe a radio. So many decisions.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
          I didn't want to weld up all the access holes in the floor in case I ever actually needed to use them. So I cut some access pannels and then drilled and tapped holes and screwed them down with some stainless machine screws. Not sure if the metal is thick enough to hold long term, I may tack weld some nuts to the bottom side of the floor.
          I tack welded a nut to the bottom side of the floor and rather than relying on the screws for may hole covers like yours. The tack just keeps the nut from turning while I tighten the screw.

Looking good!
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

• Looks great, I am envious of your time and commitment to this. Is your foot in an okay position for the gas pedal, it looks like it is behind the input of the gearbox?

Comment

• Haven't started looking at the gas pedal yet. Need seats to really get a feel for it and they're on backorder so I'll have to delay that decision among many others.

Obviously I'm going to need to bend up a shift lever too as it protrudes into the same area.

Comment

• What kind of seats are you going for?

Comment

• I want to do a split bench style. After a bunch of searching in all the usual places (junk yards, craigslist, ebay, etc) I came across this site, and particularly this seat. Not cheap but considering most of the used stuff was going to need re-covered at a minimum it's not really much more expensive either.

There may not be enough room for three people but two and a dog would work well, and if there is no passenger then you still get a center console, even if only an 8" one.

54" should fit but might be too tight so I'll probably stick with the 52". Problem is they are out of stock on the smaller center consoles so I'm in a holding pattern.

Comment

• That looks like a nice option. My truck came with some comfy seats, very similar to those, but the backs are a bit thick and can't be tilted forward..it's a bit tight for my 6'4" frame.

Comment

• The Durango/Dakota has an almost identical measurement between the B-pillars so I was looking for a seat from one of those. Durango's are much more plentiful near me, but since they are a four door they do not fold forward either. They also have a tendency to tear in the lower corner and loose foam.

Plus if the vehicle has been hit in the front or rear you have to question if one or both of the seats has been compromised. This eliminates a lot of issues and should be easy to mount with one of their universal brackets.

Comment

• Vent mounts

Decided to try mounting the vents under the dash. For that I needed to make some binnacles for them. I drew out a shape using round items I had around that were about the size I want. Tape rolls and similar in this case. Once I had the shape I wanted I cut it out of the poster board.

Since I had the plasma cutter out for another task I figured it would be the easiest way to cut the shape but I needed something to follow. If I just traced a line and tried to free hand it the results would not be pretty. So using an old cardboard box I traced out and cut two pieces of cardboard same as the template and glued them together.

Then I clamped that to the piece of 16ga plate and traced the form with the plasma cutter. Only downside is I should have cut the template slightly smaller. The plasma tip adds about 1/4", some of which will be ground away to clean up the edges, but I didn't need that much extra.

After cleaning up the edges I bent the piece up, found center and then cut the hole for the vent with a hole saw. I tried cutting the hole before bending on one of the three I built, but the hole weakens the shape and made getting a clean bend harder.

Ultimately I'm really happy with these. I temporarily clamped them to the underside of the dash. I'll decide on the final location once I have a seat in the truck and can make sure they will not be in the way. They look good, and they free up space in the dash for other things.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• That's really neat!

Also, you taught me a new word I did not know. Binnacle.
                          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• Nice!

Comment

• I probably missed it but who's AC system are you using? I would like to install one also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                                That's really neat!

Also, you taught me a new word I did not know. Binnacle.
                                That's ok Gordon.
                                Iowa is far from the ocean; would not expect you to use that term very often out there ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X