'46 Tow Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '46 Tow Truck

I ran across this very cool '46 PW tow truck and could not live without it. I have owned 5 or 6 of these trucks, and this one has the cleanest cab and fenders I have seen in this original condition.
    I know everyone on this forum appreciates these trucks and is always happy to see a new one.
    Here is mine.
    Last edited by Jerry Henry; 10-03-2010, 11:44 PM. Reason: This truck has a gin pole for the front, which explains all the extra iron work. I don't know if I will keep it or not.

Nice find! Looks like the whole truck is in pretty good shape, without a ton of rust bubbling through everywhere. Are you planning on taking the tow bar setup out of the bed? It almost looks like a normal bed with that stuff added on in it. Either way, cool truck. Have fun with it!

Comment

I like the details on the back of the bed.

It reminds me of an M715 bed, though it was fabricated, do you think?

Both of my Power Wagons were originally fitted with 7.50's.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thanks Gordon.
        Time will tell what I decide to do. I may get rid of the bed and make a nice flatbed around the winch and eliminate all the towing equipment. We'll see. The bed is definitely a factory made bed, probably military. I would love to find out it's origin. It has been cut down, both in length and in width. It's very heavy steel. They did a pretty good job of modifying. The worst part is the funky fenders.
        I will have to go through Fred Crismon's US MILITARY WHEELED VEHICLES to see if I can figure it out. Meanwhile, if anyone has any clues, please pass them on.

Thanks, Jerry
        Last edited by Jerry Henry; 10-04-2010, 02:15 PM. Reason: add information

Comment

Simalar to my bed I'm thinking a military trailer

Comment

I would say they are a match. Or they were before mine got modified. The bed looks good on your truck. Heavy metal, right?

Comment

very heavy, easy to weld on without burning through. mine was shortened on the front end, has stowage under tailgate for ramps. I think I just sold it today to a person in Long Island NY. Only 3000 miles away

Comment

Well, I can imagine it's mixed emotions about selling. Looks like a nice truck. It looks like it has a diesel?
                What kind of tires are they?

Comment

stock running gear, the tires are super swampers 38 x 13

Comment

I got tired of the mess on the front of this truck and concluded that I would never use it, so I cut it all off today. I will spend a few hours grinding and cleaning the bumpers up. It sure looks better without all that stuff. The previous owner was a good welder, I'll give him that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Henry View Post
                      I got tired of the mess on the front of this truck and concluded that I would never use it, so I cut it all off today. I will spend a few hours grinding and cleaning the bumpers up. It sure looks better without all that stuff. The previous owner was a good welder, I'll give him that.

It definitely looks better. Are those bumper halves made of channel?

Comment

Yes. He did a good job making them, so I will leave them for now. Had I known this truck was coming into my life, I would have bought a set of the bumpers Dean Moffett was selling. More important fish need frying right now.

Comment

46 Tow truck no longer a tow truck

I have been carving on my truck, getting it ready to paint. I sold the big winch behind the cab. I would love to find a home for the bed and the tow rig. It's too well built to just scrap it.
                          I plan to build a flat bed this winter, and mount an MU2 behind the cab where the giant Garwood winch was.
                          A hydraulic ram to make the bed dump is also in the prospects.

Comment

It really is a pretty good looking bed, and fits the style of the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                              It really is a pretty good looking bed, and fits the style of the truck.

X2

Makes it look even more heavy duty.

Comment

Working...
                              X