Motor Mounts- 1961FFPW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Mounts- 1961FFPW

I just jacked the cab up off my frame and will soon install new rubber mounts and bolts. While the cab is up, it seems to me the best time to jack-up the engine and replace those rubber mounts as well. I'm not quite sure how to jack-up the front of the engine however. It may become plainer once I remove the pedestal that supports the radiator, the channel surround and the radiator and it's associated panels. Can somebody please confirm that I can jack the front of the engine up from below (cross frame in the way) and not have to hoist it from above? Also, if I can jack the engine up from below, bottle jacks or screw jacks, which is best? I assume I have to separate the cross joint coming out of the back of the transmission as well. Any advice will be most appreciated.....Keith.

Hi Keith!

If you have the radiator shell removed, replacing the front motor mount is not too hard.

You will need to remove the 2 bolts, 1 at either end of the engine support bracket. Loosen the generator and remove the v-belt. A floor jack or bottle jack will work fine to jack the engine; just use a 2 x 4 under the full width of the oil pan and lift from that point. You won't have to raise the engine more than an inch.

With the weight off the front engine support, loosen and remove the 2 5/16" nuts from the mount, just under the water pump and the radiator support should be easy to take out. You may need to jockey it around the crank pulley a bit. You can then access the 2 bottom nuts on the motor mount from the back side of the engine support. Install the new motor mount and reinstall the engine support in reverse order of disassembly.

The rear egine mounts are less involved. Remove the two bolts that secure the bell housing to the frame brackets. With the jack under the transmission, raise the bell housing only enough to slip out the old isolators and slide in new ones.

Hope this helps...

C.D.
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

1961 FFP)W Motor Mounts

Thanks Dave!! I have really appreciated your help!!

Comment

Working...
      X