dually rear wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dually rear wheels

I was just wondering how rare the dually offset rims are for a FF, and if anyone has heard of them being used, or has pics of them being used, on a truck with a standard type pickup box. I am sure you would have to modify the rear fenders or have someone roll a custom set for you. Any info anybody?

They are rare, but I've seen them on eBay several times. I know where a set of the narrower variety sit in a yard, but they don't help you from what you wrote on your earlier thread.

I've heard of guys using one dually wheel on each outside mated with a standard FFPW wheel on the inside. That way you'd be assured that you'd clear the fender wells. To compensate for the lesser dish of the inner wheel you'd need to use a spacer equal to the dish differential between wheels. You'd also need to use the deeper inner dually cap nuts to make up for the width of the spacer. These things would help ensure that the tires would not chafe under load. There's a guy over on one of the IHC sites also looking for these for his military IHC (same bolt pattern). You have company. Stu

Comment

Just take four stock wheels to a wheel shop remove the rivets and move the centers out to give you and inch of clearance between tires and weld in place. Then you will have to have the outside diameter of the brake drum turned down a hair so the inner wheel will now slide over it.

Comment

I bought a parts truck once from an oilfiel co., that had the duals as described, worked great.

P.S. I did notice that the rear axle spindle was cracked on the truck though.

I used the wheels on my 47 wdx and hauled many an overload with no problems.

No telling how much of an overload the oil co. continually put on the ff.

However the axles hubs apparently are disigned for single wheels vs duals, hence the drum and wheel are further out on the hub

Comment

I was told some time ago that a trailer wheel had a deeper offset and could be used. It is probably from a 1 ton military trailer. This guy has numerous trucks that are dually rears and he has done the rim modification also.

Comment

Yes, indeed. The set of four that I mentioned in my above posting is on a trailer. But like I said, I'm pretty sure they are the narrower variety that would use a 7.50 tire. If anybody wants to chase them down you're welcome to them. I didn't pick them up when I saw them because I had no way to haul them, and don't really have need to go back after them. They sit on a trailer on a big military surplus lot in Ogden, Utah. You can see the place easily from the interstate. The place is called The Country Boys, Smith and Edwards. Address is 3936 North Highway 126, Ogden, Utah 84404. I'd suggest anybody interested in them should go there and do your own eyeballing like I did. Calling wouldn't yield much benefit to my mind. The guy to talk to, though, is Larry Johnson who is the Yard Manager. Phone is (801) 731-1120. He quoted me $125 for the trailer and all wheels. One heck of a deal, but you'd have to be able haul it out of there. IIRC one outer dual was off the trailer and the inner dual on that side had the inner cap nuts half undone. The point is I doubt the thing would roll so you'd need a car trailer and winch or hoist on a truck to pick it up. Good luck. Stu McMillan

Comment

Either way you go, I think the most economical given you have spare stock wheels or only have to pick up a couple, moving the centers on the stock wheel and turning the outside diameter of the brake drum down so the inner wheel will slide over is the way to go. The further inside the wheels are the better, like I said the spindles on the oil field truck were cracked, and spacers etc. move the load further out on the spindle

In all reality the dual 900s can probably carry much more weight than the truck was make for, but they did add stability to my truck loaded and I got the wheels and the drums(already turned down) when I bought the parts truck

Imagine a wc63 with duals-----------it would be a monster

The best thing to do would be probably get a set of the 7.50s for all three axles and run them in the mudd with the 5.83s

Comment

Working...
              X