58 WM300 Fire / Brush Truck Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 WM300 Fire / Brush Truck Identification

I recently picked up this PW for what I thought was a good deal. Its a 58. It is an open top fire truck. This truck looks to have been made into a fire truck when it was new. The quality of the the workmanship is really good.

I cant find any information on the bed to see who built it and when. It has a Barton Fire Pump on the front that is run of the front of the crank shaft. There is also an auxiliary pump on the back bumper that is a Hale Fire Pump run off of its own gas powered engine.

The bottom half of the bed is all water tank and the top has big steel doors that open up for hose storage. The hose reel on top of the bed has an electric motor to reel the hose in. After an afternoon of fiddling with it and rebuilding the carb I got it running and driving on the original flathead 6.

Overall this truck is in great shape except the driver side rear fender which is easily fixable. All the lights are there and the Federal Siren still works and is really loud. But I must say it isn't as loud as the train horns on my Dodge Diesel.

Anyways if someone knows about these old fire truck any information would be great to have. Also if anyone knows what something like this is worth please let me know as well.

Barton Front Pump

Well from looking around your place I would say your probably not going to get wet when driving it to many times! Fleabag!!

Comment

Very nice! That is a great find. Thanks for joining us?
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Yeah it only rains twice a year where the truck is at now. It was kind of a wierd thing that happened that caused me getting it. My neighbor had this truck for years. I remember when I was a kid looking at it all the time and how cool it was. A friend of mine and me would even go play on it back in the day. Now that I am older (24) and play with cars and jeeps on a regular basis he asked me if I knew anyone interested in buying his firetruck. I was like well I am! So I ended up buying it.

Comment

Nice truck! From the rear picture, you can see that there are sprayers plumbed into the pump which are mounted on the rear. These are common on brush trucks in the midwest, used to protect the truck during grass fires.

We have two WM300s at work (fire department) which are origional. My educated guess is that like ours, a fire engine company recieved a bare chassis, and custom built a body onto it.

Does it pump?

Comment

Check out the SOCIETY for the PRESERVATION & APPRECIATION of ANTIQUE MOTOR FIRE APPARATUS in AMERICA or SPAAMFAA web site. You may be able to post a photo and ask for information about your truck. If the truck was converted by a fire truck manufacturer, someone will probably know which one.

I'm guessing that the spray rig on the rear platform was a later addition and that the truck was used as a water truck for dust control at construction sites.

Your post says you are from Running Springs, but the photo looks more like down where I live in Apple Valley. If so, I would be interested in seeing your truck and maybe we can trade some parts or other assistance.

Comment

The sprayers on the back of the truck were added by the Vacaville Fruit Company. They were using it is parades and on their peach orchard for wetting down the dirt roads. My neighbor that I got it from bought it off the Peach Orchard.

I live in Running Springs but I have the truck stored out in Lake Havasu, AZ now so I dont have to keep the snow off it during the winter. I am looking for a grill shell for another project I'm working on if anyone local has one for a reasonable price . . .

Comment

Originally posted by 58_PW_Fire View Post
                I recently picked up this PW for what I thought was a good deal. Its a 58. It is an open top fire truck. This truck looks to have been made into a fire truck when it was new. The quality of the the workmanship is really good.

I cant find any information on the bed to see who built it and when. It has a Barton Fire Pump on the front that is run of the front of the crank shaft. There is also an auxiliary pump on the back bumper that is a Hale Fire Pump run off of its own gas powered engine.

The bottom half of the bed is all water tank and the top has big steel doors that open up for hose storage. The hose reel on top of the bed has an electric motor to reel the hose in. After an afternoon of fiddling with it and rebuilding the carb I got it running and driving on the original flathead 6.

Overall this truck is in great shape except the driver side rear fender which is easily fixable. All the lights are there and the Federal Siren still works and is really loud. But I must say it isn't as loud as the train horns on my Dodge Diesel.

Anyways if someone knows about these old fire truck any information would be great to have. Also if anyone knows what something like this is worth please let me know as well.

Barton Front Pump

You need to get in touch with Don Evans, he's in Ca., Bakersfield I believe, he has an open cab fire engine, and is very knowledgable on Power Wagons.

Frank

Comment

any interest in selling it?

just asking! i need another project

Comment

Call me about your Open cab. I'm in lake arrowhead most of the time.

Hope your enjoying your open cab. Wanted to discuss something with you. Give me a call. 1-818-425-5303 Mark. thanks amigo
                    =)

Comment

Open cab fire truck

Give me a call about your fire truck...from above post..or send me an email minarikguitarsdotcom@yahoo.com thanks -Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X