speedometer problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedometer problem

On my power wagon, a 1952 B3, the speedometer is working oddly. When I drove it recently, the speed readings seemed subjectively to be close to normal (perhaps a bit slower but not sure), but the odomter would turn over at least twice as fast as I would actually be going.
    I sent it in to the shop and at their first glance, it has the tecnician scratching his head.
    I have 9 X 16 tires, the diffs are 5.83.
    Any thoughts?
    Could this be a speedo that someone swapped in from another truck in the past?

If the speed is close I would think it would almost have to be an internal issue with the speedometer. Since both the needle and the odometer are driven my the same cable if one is correct the other should be as well. I seem to recall someone else having the same issue with one of the VPW repro units or something.

Might search on it, probably in the archives.

Comment

update

I got my speedo problem solved.
      I orgininally had sent it in to the John Wolf Company. I had good service from them last year when I had my gas tank sender problem.
      The speedo problem turned out to be complicated. Mr. John Wolf himself got it apart and told me that it appeared that at some point someone had tried to fix the speedo by installing what looked to him like the internals of a Hudson automobile (he was not sure what make it was but this was his guess). It was not a Dodge mechanism. This is why it recorded the mileage at a highly accelerated rate over normal.
      After he swapped in some Dodge truck internal speedo parts, the speedo is behaving normally now.
      I was a somewhat perturbed however with the WOlf company though this time around. Mainly in that it took nearly 5 months to get the work done. During this time I had to nag them with phone calls to keep any momentum going. I like the finished product, but their communication and pace of the repair was not very good. But like I said, my previous interaction with them was good. I believe part of the problem is that with old complicated things, the proprietor has to handle it himself. However, he never communicated this to me as an explanation for why it took 5 months to get it done.

Comment

I expect you are right, I have the same issues here getting anything out of the oridinary laid in my lap. It is extremely hard to be timely with all the other issues at hand; anything extra sometimes has to hit the back burner for a while.

Comment

Working...
        X