"XX" On Engine # Pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "XX" On Engine # Pad

I just noticed that the engine in my 61 PW doesn't have an engine number. It just has XX where the number would be. Does anyone out there know what the XX means? It appears to have the right dimensions for a 251.

I'm going to take a stab at this. From my research, I believe it means that it was rebuilt. Generally they would somehow remove the original numbers (grind, etc.), and put their own tag on with the new specifications as to what was redone on the engine. That's my educated guess - Matt

Comment

XX on the engine number pad

Matt,

Thanks for the input. Do you think there might be another tag on the engine somewhere?

Comment

I have a 230 which was rebuilt - the plate is ground off and there is a tag screwed to the block right next to the block plate. I also have a 230 of military origin which is rebuilt, and they have a tag next to it stating to follow 219A instructions? So if your tag is not right there, it may not have been put on, or it may have never had one, or I may be wrong with my explanation of the xx. Matt

Comment

Working...
        X