I knew that it would happen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I knew that it would happen

Actually, it has been there all along! I want a WDX/WM300! They have always been my ideal of the perfect truck.

Now, what is the price of admission going to be? Cant afford a completely restored one, and dont want a non running project. Something inbetween that I can drive around a bit and fix up as I go along, sort of like my Town Wagon.

I know there are many variables that will affect what I just asked and I left it purposely vague as to not paint myself into a certain category. I wouldn't mind a rusty one that ran well or such.

Look in the "For Sale" section of this site and at www.dodgepowerwagon.com
    You will find a big range of available trucks. In my experience, finding a running, driveable, complete truck (including bed), with winch, with working brakes and a fairly decent body, will run you $5000-7500.00. You have to decide how much you can do or are willing to learn to do.
    Jerry

Comment

I'd recommend getting a running truck first, then get donor/parts later if needed.

Starting out with a non running rig from the beginning is rather tedious & expensive. And this aplies to ALL projects.

Bucky

Comment

Also email me an ad for the magazine to the contact us link below. You must include area code and phone, and best to include your state of residence.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
          I'd recommend getting a running truck first, then get donor/parts later if needed.

Starting out with a non running rig from the beginning is rather tedious & expensive. And this aplies to ALL projects.

Bucky
          No doubt about. Barring the nearly non-existent "Grampa's Ol' Truck" that has been in the barn for 50 years, that you can buy for $500, or even $2500, you are better off spending a little more for a driver. Make sure it's a stopper, too.

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post

Bucky
            Buy the best truck you can reasonably afford. It will almost always be cheaper (and a lot easier) than fixing up a wreck.

Stay away from rust buckets and ones that have had modifications. You are looking for a sound truck in as near original condition as possible.

You don't need to pay top dollar for a trailer queen restoration. You just need a truck you can safely drive and enjoy from the get go.

If the truck's brakes don't work or it doesn't run, figure a lot of time and money to get it going. There is no cheap fix for brakes on an old truck that has been sitting for years. Don't believe anyone who tells you, "The brakes just need bleeding".

It's too easy to see a truck as we imagine it will be rather than how it really is.

Comment

Originally posted by gmharris View Post
              Buy the best truck you can reasonably afford. It will almost always be cheaper (and a lot easier) than fixing up a wreck.

Stay away from rust buckets and ones that have had modifications. You are looking for a sound truck in as near original condition as possible.

You don't need to pay top dollar for a trailer queen restoration. You just need a truck you can safely drive and enjoy from the get go.

If the truck's brakes don't work or it doesn't run, figure a lot of time and money to get it going. There is no cheap fix for brakes on an old truck that has been sitting for years. Don't believe anyone who tells you, "The brakes just need bleeding".

It's too easy to see a truck as we imagine it will be rather than how it really is.

sage advice. brakes are usually a pricy deal, and it is imperative to have good ones. I dont mind doing brakes; it seems like EVERY vehicle I have bought as a hobby needed brake work, except for the Townie. I am, at this age, done with "pasture queens", I want someone else to break trail for me for once.....lol

Comment

Also, a truck that is currently licensed and registered, preferably in you home state, is worth more to you. To me, a truck with original license plates is a real bonus. It adds a lot to the authenticity of the truck and is an indicator of the trucks originality.

The identifications plates on PW's can be removed and the frame numbers are often illegible. Before you go to look at a truck, research the identification number locations for that year truck so you can verify that they match the paperwork. This will save you a lot of trouble when you try to register the truck.

Missing identification numbers and paperwork will cause you problems.

Best advice: Take someone with you who knows a little about PW's. They don't have to be an expert. Just someone who knows a little about PW's and has learned from working on them what the problems with them will be.

Someone with an experienced eye can keep you from making a big mistake.

Comment

Working...
                X