military powerwagon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• military powerwagon?

I have a '49B1PW. When I got it some 15yrs. ago, it was O.D. and, when we sanded through the old paint, there was white, military stenciling on the doors, hood, and bumper. There was also a hole cut in the rear crossmember that looks like it was for a light of some sort. Finally, there was a series of "hooks" welded to the sides of the bed (see photo on the back cover of PWA 1'11 of Spencer Chance's truck). I have the build card for my truck and a copy of Spencer's-the serial numbers are within 2 digits. I've been told more than once that "the military never used these trucks". I would appreciate anyone's input that might shed some light on the hooks, hole, and early home of my truck. Thanks, Mark

Mark, I moved this into the 1-ton Power Wagon forum because it will get more exposure there.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Those who told you that civilian Power Wagons were “never” used by the military probably had good intentions but were ill informed.

Although the WDX through WM300 Power Wagons were built for civilian use, the U.S. Military did use them, albeit in relatively small numbers compared with the civilian population.

Foreign militaries used them in large numbers.

We should be careful not to use the word “never” when talking about Power Wagons.

Comment

Tell us more about the hole in the rear cross member.

All Power Wagons have a hole in the rear cross member for either a pintle hitch or rear PTO. A rear PTO could not be used in conjunction with the Pintle hitch. It was either/or.

If you have more than one hole, the rear crossmember has been modified, possibly to use rear PTO without removing the hitch.
        Attached Files

Comment

Mark,

I have records for two other trucks like yours. They were all ordered by the government, have mostly the same equipment, and all have New Car Service specified. They are all 1949s.

One of them is spec'd out as SeaWolf Submarine Green like yours and was also assembled in the Military Building like yours. The other one does not have a paint code but does have a Special Order code as does yours.

These are post WC trucks and pre M-37 so it is very possible that the military would order these. It is also possible that a different branch of the government ordered and used them first but then they got transferred over to the military. Is the USA registration number painted on your hood the original number as you found under the paint? If so perhaps we can find out more that way.

The same people who have told us that the military never used Power Wagons also said that the build cards did not go down the assembly line with the trucks. What's taped to the inside of the windshield in all the assembly line photos?

I did not receive my January PWA yet. Is Spencer's build card in it?
          Attached Files

Comment

military dodge

Kevin, thanks for your input. I did not take photos when my truck was painted but I copied the stenciling as it was. The dash appears to have been painted with stencil and brush "do not exceed 45 mph". The door stenciling says "WHITE SANDS'. Finally, Spencer Chance sent me a copy of his build card. Thanks again, Mark

Comment

military dodge

Kevin Meinke-thanks for writing back. There are two holes in the rear cross member of my truck-the second hole is to the left of the hole behind the pintle hook-possibly for a rear PTO as you stated. I did ask Dave Butler some years ago when I had my truck at the rally and he thought it might be "for a light". It is about 4in in diameter and appears to have been cut with a torch. Thanks, Mark

Comment

I also have a '49 Power Wagon that I believe was owned by the Army. When I bought it in 1990, most of the body was painted blue, and it seemed to be an amateur paint job. However, there were a few hidden areas of the body and - if memory serves me - parts of the frame, that were painted in what I would call Army green. The other Power Wagon at the same place where I bought mine was painted completely in an Army-type green and as best I recall, it had the remnants of white stars on the doors. I believe both trucks had been purchased by the local Catholic diocese (in El Paso, TX) as Army surplus in the 1950's.

I found it interesting to hear of the extra hole in the rear crossmember of your truck. Mine has it also, just to the left of the factory hole for the rear driveshaft or pintle. The extra hole looks like it was done with a torch, like yours. In the front web of that rear crossmember, directly in front of the extra hole, there are three small holes that look like they would be used for wiring, but not big enough for a driveshaft. They were also cut with a torch. All these years, I had thought this extra hole must have been cut by someone in the civilian world who owned it after the Army. Now I know different, thanks to your post.

Comment

Admin TMP vehicle

Not every Army vehicle was a TACTICAL vehicle.

http://www.texaspowerwagon.com/admin-veh.htm

Comment

Working...
                  X