Some rambling thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some rambling thoughts

I just sent this email update to my brother. I've been feeding him a few updates on my cherry-boy experience with this new child of mine. It's a 1952 1-ton, and after I hosed out all the rat turds and scoured away the urine and dust, I was able to get busy on it without being nauseated. Last summer I bought a 1942 WC, and then I saw this '52 from a route I travel at work, so I couldn't just let it sit there. I need the '52 up and running soon because I need a truck again, having sold off my others last year (1972 Ford F350 Stake Bed and a 1990 W300 Service Body 4x4). I thought I'd share this note with you folks, as after I read it, I figured many of you could identify with some of the themes and if nothing else be mildly amused as you waste time in front of this computer. tips, advice and other unproductive comments are always welcome.

-Steve Johnson
    Kingsburg, Calif.

Bro-
    I have the intake/exhaust manifold and carburetor reinstalled. The work came out nice, and with no real problems. I was able to remove all but one of the studs. All were re-dressed with my new tap and die set and then reinstalled in the block with hi-temp thread dope, with Led-Plate being applied to the other end. All nuts were torqued to 20 foot pounds. The nuts that had to be wrenched were estimated based on muscle memory from the torque wrench. I used a basic cross-diagonal torque pattern. I replaced a few of the brass nuts, mostly for appearance, but not the castellated ones. They were still nice and tight.

The busted off spark plug core I mentioned last week was finally removed with an easy-out and heat, and I vacuumed out the cylinder with a tube as best as I could. Grit and particles were collected, but I can't be positive it was all removed.

I removed the valve covers to take a look and was pleased to see a valve gallery that was free of rust, dirt or scale. Nice old oil smell and well-polished components. No goo, caking or emulsified oil. Later, I also drained the block and radiator via the drain cocks. They opened up with minimal effort and a little penetrating oil. Clear, rust-free water casually dripped out for about 40 minutes. I'm still a little curious why there was no rust and why the radiator water actually had coolant and also looked real clean, seeing as how this truck sat for so many years. Even though it was last registered in 1974, I'm sure they used it around the wrecking yard after that. But you saw it too, and I think we could both agree it hasn't run in many years.

Honestly, I continue to be amazed at my good luck in spite of all the potential irritants that come with such projects. It's really captivating, actually. My next project groups will be in no particular order: Ignition system, starter, generator and voltage regulator (Clean, Lube, Adjust). Engine cooling system. Flush oil system and install external oil filter. Fuel delivery. Brakes. Chassis Lube.

At some point, I'm sure I'll actually lay in a battery and try to start it. I will reserve that time with a turned off cell phone and little kids in school. I want to savor the moment of total mechanical Armageddon or the bliss-full scent of a recently worked-over engine warming up and coming to life. I think if I carefully move at the speed I am now, the latter event is what I may be blessed with.

I got a nice little tubing bender and a good quality flaring kit, so I'm kind of excited and also a little intimidated about bending all new lines for the brakes and fuel. But I know the experience will be well worth any frustrations and extra expense to recover any of my goofs. I could have bought pre-bent lines, but I also enjoy justifying the trading of cash for new tools. I think of tools like seed corn.

I rec'd your packet of old PWA's yesterday. Thanks for sending this stuff along, I always like reading Sittin' on the Tailgate. The writer speaks from the heart, and acutely brings to light why these are more than trucks. They represent so much more.

I also got your note about giving you first choice if I sell the '52. My dilemma is this: I want to keep them both. I will probably keep the 52, and move the bed from the '42 over to the '52 because I believe the years match up better, and the 52 needs a bed anyway. I think the '42 has a more righteous and lean look to it- like the war-baby it was meant to be, but the '52 is currently more sound and most likely more dependable overall as they sit. Did I mention that I want to keep them both? I can't afford both. Well, neither really.

If I was up against a wall today, I would probably sell the '42 just because it is so much farther out on the amount of work it needs, including recovering from all the rust having lived near Santa Cruz for many years. Several months ago I told you I thought the B3PW had a better look to it than the WC, but as they sit next to each other, I become more visually attached to the '42, but more mechanically satisfied with the '52. Does that make any sense to you?

-Steve

A keeper or no, some thoughts

Give this some thought before making a final decision. I have no idea how far you plan to take these vehicles toward a full restoration; but this is what I would consider if I were you. Nice restorations seem to always eat up the most cash in the area of a really nice body; this becomes extremely labor intensive. It is a fact, with this in mind; you may want to seriously consider making the truck with the better condition body the keeper.

I'm sure your next question is, what about mechanicals and actual vehicle reliability? This is also a fact you can take to the bank; if you want a really reliable truck, you may as well make a decision from the onset to go through every component from the inside out. The nickel and diming scenerio won't stop, nor will you have a totally reliable truck until you do. It won't really matter which truck you keep in respect to mechanical, electrical considerations; the same inside out transformation will apply to either if you want real reliability.

Comment

what model WC do you have? and yes it all makes sense. ;/)

Comment

Model...?

Well, the Serial Number was partially double stamped, and I finally settled on a S/N of: 81524691 and running with that number to the www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php site, it has a plethora of Model Numbers...from WC-21 through WC-43. The bed that's on it is incorrect, I think it is a "Pilothouse" bed, no tailgate or deck boards, and is missing the rear half of the running boards, spare tire bracket and the rear fenders.

It has a Braden winch off the front, but was obviously scabbed on. The drive linkage seems complete to the PTO, but it is missing the typical engagement handle in the cab near the accelerator peddle. I have not tried to operate it, as it is low priority. I have not measured any drivetrain particulars, but it seems like it's all there, just needs to be taken down to 'parade rest' and carefully gone through with a liberal amount of time, diligence and money.

-SD

Comment

Working...
        X