Flat Fender Power Wagon Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Fender Power Wagon Poll

Some of us here may be aware of a recent rise in popularity of using a few controversial terms and abbreviations to describe or designate the 1-ton Power Wagon. These include: flatfender, flat fendered, flatfender power wagon, ff, FF, FFPW, ffpw, and flattie. (Please xcuse me if I missed a any.) "Flat fender Power Wagon" and "FFPW" are even used for reference purposes in the above header of this sub-forum.

Whether right or wrong, the term "Flatfender", and its variants, have long been been used in jeep collector circles to describe the early Jeep Universals, typically those produced before the introduction of the CJ5 and CJ6 models. Through exhaustive and thorough research I have determined that the first documented use of the term "flat fender" on an internet forum in reference to a 1-ton Power Wagon took place on January 6, 1998. The first recorded use of the abbreviation "FFPW" occurred over four years later in March of 2002. The world was forever changed.

Almost immediately after these terms were first used, debate began about their validity. It continues today. Most often it is tongue-in-cheek and lighthearted, sometimes not.

If you are still reading, chances are you have an opinion on the subject. Now is your chance to vote in a poll. Pick the choice that most closely represents your feelings, or, discuss here. Remember, play nice. This is all in fun.

Disclaimer - This poll may appear biased and/or unscientific.
    I feel these terms describe the truck perfectly. Just look at the fenders. They are flat.
    27.06%
    I like to embrace modern trends. The terms are acceptable in today’s popular culture.
    5.88%
    Who cares? People should spend time worrying about more important things.
    20.00%
    What debate? Have I missed something?
    4.71%
    I enjoy listening to the two sides quarrel. You can’t buy this kind of entertainment.
    14.12%
    I am somewhat uncomfortable with the terms but I have used them on occasion.
    5.88%
    I feel these terms do not describe the truck. Just look at the fenders. They are not flat.
    22.35%
    Last edited by Clint Dixon; 03-06-2011, 09:53 AM. Reason: Disclaimer

Were's the Poll?
    I see double post but no poll,ha
    TGP
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
      Were's the Poll?
      I see double post but no poll,ha
      TGP
      It should be available now.

I am new at this. The first few times did not work. ;^)

Comment

Several years ago I had a flat fender lying on the floor in front of my table at the rally in Fairfield. It was flat as a result of having had the yard tractor at Vintage drive over it a few times. I wanted to show people what a flat fender looked like. The fender was too bad to sell, just so you know, prior to becoming flat.

I don't think a Power Wagon would look right with flat fenders, although.... if you got it going fast enough it might turn into an airplane.

The term FFPW causes me to think we should use more TLA's.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Power Wagon fenders are not flat, just look at them! Jeep fenders are flat, just look at them!

Having said that, I think it is appropriate for members of the Tribe to use the flat fender term, judiciously and within the Tribe, as a way of quickly defining which truck in the Dodge family we are talking discussing.

People not of the tribe, using the term "FFPW" or any of its variants, risk getting dragged through the cactus patch by wild ponies.

C.D.
          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
          2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
          1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
          1954 Ford 860 tractor
          1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
          UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

You have skewed the poll results by making multiple statements in choice one. The choice should be only that FFPW is an acceptable term. We can see that the fender is not exactly flat and to add that factor reduces the number of people who will choose this option even though they think FFPW is an acceptable term.

I think we should add another choice: MFFPW (Mostly Flat Fender Power Wagon).

Comment

...RFPR...Radiused Fender Power Wagon

sheesh Clint, look what you've started!

C.D.
              1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
              1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
              1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Originally posted by gmharris View Post
                You have skewed the poll results by making multiple statements in choice one. The choice should be only that FFPW is an acceptable term. We can see that the fender is not exactly flat and to add that factor reduces the number of people who will choose this option even though they think FFPW is an acceptable term.

I debate on creating another poll having two choices. I also don't want to upset Clint.....

Comment

Thank your for noticing. ;^)

Actually, if you read all the choices, the last one is also skewed. Some will argue that the choice there should have been only that FFPW is NOT an acceptable term. So I probably reduced the number of people who would choose that option too.

But I have it covered. I added a disclaimer indicating that the poll may appear biased. ;^)

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
                    sheesh Clint, look what you've started!

C.D.
                    I started it on another forum and then moved here when it got too hot over there. Well...actually...it was someone else who started it over there. I just caught the ball and ran with it. It's okay. I have broad shoulders. ;^)

Comment

So far, the way the poll is constructed, only seven people out of 30 have a negative view of the term FFPW. An overwhelming majority either use or accept the term. So much for the ossified traditionalist.

Comment

Correct, but

So far, the way the poll is constructed, only seven people out of 30 have a negative view of the term FFPW. An overwhelming majority either use or accept the term. So much for the ossified traditionalist.
                        So far, only seven people out of 30 feel the term FFPW perfectly describes the T137 truck. An overwhelming majority are unwilling to go that far.

Hey, I like flat fenders as much as the next guy. In fact, I have been thinking about getting a CJ2A but I find the CJ3B model is starting to grow on me. Too bad my B3PW has only an 8-foot flatbed. If it were a foot longer, I could drive it to tractor shows and carry a flat fender along with me.

"Ossified traditionalist?" Apparently we have never met in person. Gordon will probably have some observations to add to that.

Comment

Clint is a very modern guy. I say that because some of his engineer hats use synthetic fibers.

Comment

A different sort of response is found here.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                              I started it on another forum and then moved here when it got too hot over there. Well...actually...it was someone else who started it over there. I just caught the ball and ran with it. It's okay. I have broad shoulders. ;^)
                              Sounds like you were "asked to leave", Hahaha!!!
                              1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                              1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                              1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Working...
                              X