Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Difficult to Replace Door Latch Mechanisms

Guys,

I haven't been on here in a while, but would like to bring news that the Power Wagon is a huge hit at Mardi Gras time. Everyone likes to watch it, even though it's not in any of the parades. It also comes in handy when I need to tote all of my friends around, with most of the roads closed. The cool Spring weather compliments this.

Anyways, for a long time, my passenger door latch mechanism has been on the rocks, and last night, my driver's side went completely out. The latch won't even drop until I pull the handle backwards into the lock position.

I'm just curious: With my windows installed, how hard is it to replace these door latch mechanisms? As far as I'm convinced, all the door handles, and the panels have to come off. Is there anything else?

if I remember right it's behind the window regulator, so all the window mechanism has to come out first

Comment

Originally posted by olgraybeard View Post
      if I remember right it's behind the window regulator, so all the window mechanism has to come out first
      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Makes the job 10x worse.

Comment

Originally posted by chance9888 View Post
        NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Makes the job 10x worse.
        What you mean to say is "makes the adventure 10x more challenging."

But seriously, I'll probably be taking my doors apart on my M37 soon enough to replace stuff. Any info that can be added to this thread would help both of us!

Comment

I'm curious too.

I just pulled the skins apart on the drivers door so that I could OVER rebuild it.

I put the latch/lever back in before I re-mated the two halves because I couldn't see anyway to get the latch back in without halving to seperate the door again.

Is there a magical trick to this?

Comment

Hocus Pocus!

Originally posted by BigSmoke View Post

Is there a magical trick to this?
            The link arm must be pointed skyward, sticking out the top of the door. Then you can curl the whole assembly around the innards of the door to remove it.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD DODGE View Post
              The link arm must be pointed skyward, sticking out the top of the door. Then you can curl the whole assembly around the innards of the door to remove it.
              It is a snug fit; but this gentleman has won the prize; that is the trick.

This procedure does not apply to the M37, there is much more clearance to work inside an M37 door making the chore much more pleasurable.

Comment

Good information to have.

Comment

Yeah, Good news. I pulled it out of the door, using the curl maneuver. It eventually came out, but was very hesitant to. Luckily, I didn't have to take out any of the window components. The only exception was that I removed the screws on the sleeve that holds the window inside of the door. With that being able to flex around, I worked out the handle piece. Also, does anyone have a rebuilt door piece mechanism I could pick off of them for a few bucks? The springs are broken in both of my doors.

Comment

VPW told Me they used to rebuild them. Now they have a repro avalible.

Comment

Working...
                    X