Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need Alternator and Gas Tank Advice

Alas, It begins!!!

I'm starting the second truck really soon, but this one will be much more of an off-road model. So, no painting, doors, or windows. It will also include a number of other things like a few non-working dashboard gauges, a grille mounted over the windshield, and bar-style door. However, as of now, the truck only has the engine rebuilt, and I haven't even put it in yet... But my plan is to bring the thing up to 12v, so it's more universal, unlike my current truck.

I'm looking to see if anyone has some good advice as far as putting an alternator in the truck and not having a voltage regulator. Is there a certain alternator that fit perfectly? What about the mounting bracket?

Another thing I have an issue with is the gas tank. Like all of your trucks, when you first got them, my gas tank is garbage. I think it would be worth it to just get an entirely new one, but as to mounting it in the rear bottom of the truck, I want to mount it into the front right corner of the bed, that way I don't puncture it in an accident. Does anyone have experience with this? Also, I plan to just make the whole bed and bed sides out of treated 1x4 strips.

Edit: I really think something like This would work for Gas.
    Last edited by chance9888; 04-03-2011, 04:38 PM. Reason: Added Detail

Originally posted by chance9888 View Post
    alas, it begins!!!

I'm looking to see if anyone has some good advice as far as putting an alternator in the truck and not having a voltage regulator. Is there a certain alternator that fit perfectly? What about the mounting bracket?

You are looking for a GM single-wire alternator, they are internally regulated and very easy to work with

Mounting the alternator to the engine is accomplished easily enough by adapting to the original generator/engine bracket. The alternator placement, fore and aft on that bracket, is determined by aligning the drive sheave (pulley) on the crank, and the driven sheaves on the water pump and the alternator itself...and there is the rub.

While the stock sheave from the generator will fit on the GM alternator shaft, and has the correct v-groove, it has the wrong diameter. The result is an under-driven alternator that will not charge at low rpm.

To overcome that situation you will need a sheave whose v-belt groove profile matches that of the original generator sheeae, and the bore and outside diameter matching that of the gm alternator sheave. This subject was covered in some detail in the march issue of the PWA.

Another thing I have an issue with is the gas tank. Like all of your trucks, when you first got them, my gas tank is garbage. I think it would be worth it to just get an entirely new one, but as to mounting it in the rear bottom of the truck, i want to mount it into the front right corner of the bed, that way i don't puncture it in an accident. Does anyone have experience with this?

Mounting a fuel cell in the bed is okay, so long as you realize that it is vulnerable there as well, especially if you carry any loose gear or where piercing from local timber or falling debris is a possibility. Armor as nessesary, particularly the filler neck.

also, i plan to just make the whole bed and bed sides out of treated 1x4 strips.

From the sounds of what you are planning I would stay away from a timber deck of any kind, but especially treated lumber. It's heavy and it's not great for human contact; you get the nastiest infections from treated splinters... and you will get splinters, especially in an off-road environment.

Plywood is strong for it's weight, but it's not real durable. You can armor the edges and get added life and utility.

If you want something utilitarian and tough, give a look at expanded steel or, even better, gravel screen. They both are available in various sizes and weights. The gravel screen is more expensive (unless you can find salvage) but it's very user friendly ( no sharp or cuttung edges). You will never go wanting for an achor point for strap, bungee or bolt.

Hope this of some help. Good luck!

C.D.
    Last edited by Gordon Maney; 04-05-2011, 06:08 PM.
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Wow, thanks Dave! That's awesome! I have also made the decision that I will just make the bed out of oak and treat it with a deck or water sealant. That should be adequate.

Comment

Spencer,
        If you are able, get some white oak for this from a sawmill there. White oak is more water resistant and durable than red, although any oak is better than pine or other softer woods, and looks better than plywood. etc. Different species of white oak grows over most of the eastern half of the U.S.
        My avatar is a picture of my completed white oak bed.

Comment

Alas, It begins!!!

I'm starting the second truck really soon, but this one will be much more of an off-road model. So, no painting, doors, or windows. It will also include a number of other things like a few non-working dashboard gauges, a grille mounted over the windshield, and bar-style door. However, as of now, the truck only has the engine rebuilt, and I haven't even put it in yet... But my plan is to bring the thing up to 12v, so it's more universal, unlike my current truck.

Another thing I have an issue with is the gas tank. Like all of your trucks, when you first got them, my gas tank is garbage. I think it would be worth it to just get an entirely new one, but as to mounting it in the rear bottom of the truck, I want to mount it into the front right corner of the bed, that way I don't puncture it in an accident. Does anyone have experience with this? Also, I plan to just make the whole bed and bed sides out of treated 1x4 strips.

Another option to consider is a fuel tank from an early '90s Chevy PU. I found this one, which measures 28"x28"x13", and with slight modification to the stock support system, it fit right in. This tank holds 31 gallons, which is more than I need, but the install was pretty simple. And it's galvanized.
          For the alternator, I used a 3 wire Delco 100amp. But 3 wire or 1 wire, building the bracket is easy. Use a piece of 4"x4" angle, and use the two holes provided in the block. Weld a sleeve on the edge of the angle for the pivot bolt, and trim the rest of the surplus angle to your liking. JH

Comment

Jerry, does that early 90s Chevy tank filler neck line up with the original filler in the side of the bed? I dont have a bed for mine yet, so I dont know, but I was thinking of using a new plastic tank for a late 40s Willys Pick Up. I just dont know if everything will line up. It is about the right size. I bet your Chevy tank was cheaper.
            Thanks.
            Munsk.

Comment

Notice in the picture that the fuel filler opening is in the same place as the stock tank. You might have to maneuver the inlet tube a bit. I am using a flatbed, but someday hope to come up with the funds to buy the reproduction bed parts.

Comment

Alas, It begins!!!

There's a thread in the archives that goes over a ginormus debate on what wood to use for your bed, should you choose to use wood. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I think I speak for everyone when I say, "post pictures!"

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ead.php?t=5948
                Last edited by JStinson; 05-24-2011, 12:06 PM. Reason: Added link

Comment

Working...
                X