Seat Covers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Covers?

Anyone found a source for a decent fitting seat cover for an original seat? I am in the south so I want something "not just plain vinyl" and no camo, no flames, etc.
    Thanks.

I have had good luck with Roberts Motor Parts...you should talk with your local artisans as well.

C.D.
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

I made my own

Originally posted by Slow and Stubbor View Post
      Anyone found a source for a decent fitting seat cover for an original seat? I am in the south so I want something "not just plain vinyl" and no camo, no flames, etc.
      Thanks.
      I pulled the threads out of the seams of my original and used the pieces for patterns. I then traced around these on the backside of some new material. I found some marine vinyl at the local Joanns Fabrics that has a slight texture pattern and in a brown color that is close to the original. It is called "Walnut". It is a heavy vinyl that is designed to resist the sun and weather.

It takes a good sewing machine, a walking foot, the correct thread recommended for marine vinyl, heavy gauge needles, and a helper. Some of the seams are of a very tight radius and it helps to take it slow, sometimes creating just one stitch at a time, and to have an extra set of hands pulling/guiding the material. A machine designed for quilting would be good and an industrial sewing machine would be even better.

All in all it was satisfying to do it myself. I was able to add a backstitch to add some additional strength that the original seams did not have. I was able to buy the material on sale and I made enough seat covers for three trucks for just a little more that what one seat cover from Roberts costs, and saved myself all of the shipping costs.

I will see if I can get a good photo of the finished product.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
        I pulled the threads out of the seams of my original and used the pieces for patterns. I then traced around these on the backside of some new material. I found some marine vinyl at the local Joanns Fabrics that has a slight texture pattern and in a brown color that is close to the original. It is called "Walnut". It is a heavy vinyl that is designed to resist the sun and weather.

It takes a good sewing machine, a walking foot, the correct thread recommended for marine vinyl, heavy gauge needles, and a helper. Some of the seams are of a very tight radius and it helps to take it slow, sometimes creating just one stitch at a time, and to have an extra set of hands pulling/guiding the material. A machine designed for quilting would be good and an industrial sewing machine would be even better.

All in all it was satisfying to do it myself. I was able to add a backstitch to add some additional strength that the original seams did not have. I was able to buy the material on sale and I made enough seat covers for three trucks for just a little more that what one seat cover from Roberts costs, and saved myself all of the shipping costs.

I will see if I can get a good photo of the finished product.
        Clint...you never cease to amaze...

C.D.
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
          Clint...you never cease to amaze...

C.D.
          It's all calculated. ;^)
          Attached Files

Comment

Perfect! Just taking a break fom the ironing?

hehehe...

C.D.
            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
            1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Now that's a photo I never expected to see!! But yet another display of self-reliance from the Clintster (hope not to offend by calling you that....I have a local friend named Clint and we occasionally refer to him that way. He is also very self-reliant.)

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Wilson View Post
                Now that's a photo I never expected to see!! But yet another display of self-reliance from the Clintster (hope not to offend by calling you that....I have a local friend named Clint and we occasionally refer to him that way. He is also very self-reliant.)
                No offence Matt. I think that was a first for me though. ;^)

Comment

Clint I give you a lot of credit for tackling such a project. I never learned to run a sewing machine but would like to. My wife has an industrial machine but I doubt she'd let me operate it. I just ordered original fabric for the PG seats I need recovered. $85 a yard @ two yards to a seat and that's just the main field of the seat. I've got a friend who knows what he's doing to recover these seats. I'm looking forward to seeing your handiwork at the rally.

Comment

Hey Clint, do you still have patterns? I am thinkin of trying to find a certain material and if I can, I could find a place to make a seat cover for me. My seat is just the frame so I have no reference to use.

I have some pants and shorts from Duluth Trading Co that are made from what they call "fire hose material". Now as a firefighter, its not really fire hose material, but it does resemble the old cotton jacket hose. Its pretty durable, I been wearin the two paris of pants every time I work on my truck and the are doin great, very comfortable.

ANYWAY, I wanna see if I can get the material they use for the pants to do a seat. But I need patterns... Can ya help Clint??

Thanks
                    Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                      Hey Clint, do you still have patterns? I am thinkin of trying to find a certain material and if I can, I could find a place to make a seat cover for me. My seat is just the frame so I have no reference to use.

I have some pants and shorts from Duluth Trading Co that are made from what they call "fire hose material". Now as a firefighter, its not really fire hose material, but it does resemble the old cotton jacket hose. Its pretty durable, I been wearin the two paris of pants every time I work on my truck and the are doin great, very comfortable.

ANYWAY, I wanna see if I can get the material they use for the pants to do a seat. But I need patterns... Can ya help Clint??

Thanks
                      Nick
                      Truck seat from pants?

What's next? A steering wheel cover made of your underwear?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

Thanks
                        Nick
                        I wish I would have know sooner, I could have boxed up my old covers and sent them off to you. I finally got tired of the old mousyfied things laying in the garage and threw then out. I never made paper patterns as I just traced around the old pieces onto new material. I figured if I ever drag home another truck that needs seat covers, I would do the same thing. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by BigSmoke View Post
                          Truck seat from pants?

What's next? A steering wheel cover made of your underwear?
                          Dont say you wouldnt like it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                            I wish I would have know sooner, I could have boxed up my old covers and sent them off to you. I finally got tired of the old mousyfied things laying in the garage and threw then out. I never made paper patterns as I just traced around the old pieces onto new material. I figured if I ever drag home another truck that needs seat covers, I would do the same thing. Sorry.

Oh well, story of my life, a day late and a dollar short!

Ill find a competent upholstery shop and talk to them, thanks anyway.

Nick

Comment

Well, I spent the day drivin around to virtually every single upholstery place in town. I know I need to blast and paint or powder coat the seat springs and frame.

I am particular in the fabric i want, but jeeze, the cheapest I found to do the seat was 300 bucks. Thats for the material thats not exactly what I want, padding, bulap and install.

Is it me or is that kinda expensive? Ranges were from 450 to 300. I could buy the seat kit and cover from Roberts for less, but its not the material I really want. The material isnt that expensive cuz only one place asked what I wanted and he said no difference.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X