New PW Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PW Project

I just saved a PW parked in a field in Oklahoma for several years. I fear this is going to be an expensive project. However, I will take my time and do it right. I am looking for tips and ideas for restoration. It won't be a daily driver, but I will use it. I have been a fan of the look of these trucks for years. I do know I want a new drive train in the truck. Any advice or tips on how one might go about restoring this truck from some of the experienced PW folks on this forum would be greatly appreciated. What you would do with this truck from the experts???? It is a model WD-21. I don't know the year. I also purchased a VC-15 in pretty poor shape. I am starting with the WD-21. I will post pics as soon as I figure out how to do so....

Pics of New PW WD-21

Comment

This is the place to learn...

The Power Wagon Advertiser site has a wealth of information available to folks joining the old Dodge truck community.

For example, if you scroll down the PW section, there is a thread by Blaszer titled "What is it?" that discusses Model designations.

The WD-21 is a 2WD and not a Power Wagon. Here is a post from that thread. It should help you ID what you have.

The WD15 is the 3/4 ton, civilian 2WD pickup 1942 - 1947 with 120" wheelbase. (The Museum has one.) The WC is the 1/2 ton civilian 2WD pickup 1942 - 1947 with 116" wheelbase. (The Museum has three.) The WD20 is the 1 ton civilian 2WD pickup 1942 - 1947 with 120" wheelbase. The WD21 is the 1 ton civilian 2WD pickup 1942 - 1947 with 133" wheelbase.

All WWII military Dodge 1/2, 3/4, and 1 1/2 (6x6) ton trucks used the WC prefix followed by the military model number.

If this WD15 has a 4WD chassis, you will have to use the frame serial number to identify what the WD15 body has been placed on. You can use the wheelbase of the 4WD chassis to make a quick identification. The Dodge military 1/2 ton has a 116" wheelbase. (The Museum has two.) The Power Wagon has a 126" wheelbase. (The Museum has five.) The military 3/4 ton has a 98" wheelbase. (The Museum has four.)

Hope this is useful.

My references do not show there was ever a VC-15. There was a VD15 that would be a 1940 3/4 ton, civilian 2WD pickup. If you have pictures and other details, we will be glad to help you ID that vehicle.

You are welcome to visit the Kempner Power Wagon Museum http://www.texaspowerwagon.com and use our reference library.

Welcome aboard and happy research.

Comment

Typo

I have acquired two very odd trucks. The VD-15, not VC (mistake) is 4WD. The WD-21, is also 4WD. Both have PTO on them and I have no idea about their history. Both have flat fenders. I don't know the years and I apologize in advance if I have started this topic in the wrong area. I am really, really new to this site and old Dodge trucks in general. I truly believe both trucks are military and early 40's. Can't explain the model numbers unless they were salvaged parts from other trucks.

Comment

PM Sent

Some discussion and things to look for.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Cook View Post

The WD15 is the 3/4 ton, civilian 2WD pickup 1942 - 1947 with 120" wheelbase. (The Museum has one.) The WC is the 1/2 ton civilian 2WD pickup 1942 - 1947 with 116" wheelbase. (The Museum has three.) The WD20 is the 1 ton civilian 2WD pickup 1942 - 1947 with 120" wheelbase. The WD21 is the 1 ton civilian 2WD pickup 1942 - 1947 with 133" wheelbase.
            Paul,

What happened to 1941?? As far as I know designations were as follows,

1939's were T series

1940's were V series

and 1941-1947 NOT 1942-1947 were W series

My Museum has two 1941 1-tons on the 133" wheelbase and on the vin tag of both of them it says WD-21

Matt

Comment

1941 WD-21's

Matt - Do you have any pictures of your WD-21's? Once I am listed a subscriber, I can post pics of mine. It is missing the bed. I am trying to get a feel for how it should have looked originally.

Comment

Vd-15

The Dodge Vehicle Decoder gives me this information:

Serial Number 8209709
                Year 1940
                Make Dodge
                Model VD-15
                Engine 217.76 Flathead Six
                Wheelbase 120
                Rating 3/4 Ton
                Engineering Code T94
                Plant Detroit, Michigan
                Build Number 2609

Comment

Wd-21

The Decoder gives me this information on the other truck:
                  Serial Number 81230255
                  Year 1947
                  Make Dodge
                  Model WD-20, WD-21
                  Engine 230 Flathead Six
                  Wheelbase 120, 133
                  Rating 1 Ton
                  Engineering Code T116
                  Plant Detroit, Michigan
                  Build Number 6253

Comment

Oooops!

My bad! Matt is right about W code being 1941 - 1947. My references are clear on that. I was focussed on "not 1940" and entered the wrond starting date.

Adam. Are those serial numbers from the frame?

Comment

those are from the cab. Where would I find them on the frame?

Comment

Serial Number Location

The serial number is stamped into the frame behind (inside direction) the left front wheel and tire. As I said, cab data plates are held on with screws - sometimes rivets - and can be easily moved.

This is a WD20 or WD21 - based on the wheelbase.

Comment

Wow, that is not at all like the truck I have. I will check the frame numbers and post those results. Thank you very much for all of your help and insight. Other than the screen on the back and gas filler location what were the main differences between a military and civilian cab? Structurally, were they about the same? Would it be complete taboo to keep the civilian cab?

Comment

Working...
                          X