VINs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VINs

Of those of you that have original titles, what number was used as the VIN?
    I have a title to my "NEW" '48 PW, and the VIN is a T137----, and as I understand it, that is an engine number. However, it is NOT the engine # of the engine that currently calls the spot between the frame rails of my new PW, home.

It seems to me that using an engine # as the VIN, is not smart, for reasons that have presented themselve in my current situation. (Engine Swap).

All information and suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks.
    Josh.

A trip through time...

"Way back when" most vehicles were titled using engine numbers. It wasn't a problem then because the common practice was that everyone rebuilt their engines.

Next came "the good old days" when hot rods came into existence. Often this involved swapping engines. Soon the system switched from engine numbers to frame (vehicle) serial numbers.

That's the way it is "nowadays". Depending on the state, titles do - or - do not have both numbers on the titles, but they all use the VIN.

In most states, if you build one car from several sets of parts cars, the state assigns a VIN. Many "kit cars" have a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) with the vehicle serial number that you use when applying for a title.

Your VIN should be on the original data plate on the door jamb, and on the frame rail directly behind the left front wheel.

Hope this helps.

Comment

My 49 was titles to the engine when I bought it. It wasn't an issue until I blew up the engine and decided to swap in a 230 I had left from my M.

I went through the paper process here in IL to get the title corrected to the cab/frame serial numbers. I used the build card from the W.P. Chrysler Museum as part of the documentation, but don't think it was a requirement. I had to have an officer of the law come and inspect it, to validate what I was asking be done.

Turned out when I pulled the engine out after getting the corrected title, that the engine in the truck wasn't the original, but a re-stamped NOS, or rebuilt that had been stamped with the old engine number and installed. In my case the "-" between the T137 and the rest of the engine serial number was not only not the supposedly stock start, but a dash made by stamping a "1" sideways.

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Thanks, guys. If anybody else wants to weigh in on this, I would appreciate it. I like reading about all of these stories and general info.

As it stands, I think I will try to get a new title issued, as this one has no numbers that tie it to the truck. I think using the serial number would be smartest.

Thanks again.
        Munsk

Comment

Josh, on the Montana Department of Justice page there are instructions and paperwork for what you need to do. You need to have it inspected by a police officer, and explain your story. If you show him info from the T137 site, which shows you how to trace your body number, it may help him understand. Have your body number clean and easy to read. Once he inspects, there is paperwork you both fill out, and you take it in to the courthouse. I ahve done it once with no problems. Matt

Comment

Matt, thanks for your reply. I am loosely familiar with the formalities of how to get a new title, but I thought that there was something to do with publishing something in a newspaper. A Sheriff's sale, is what I have heard it referred to as.
            Munsk.

Comment

I need papers for aPW

When I bough My 1956 PW I also bought a parts truck with it. I never intented to put it on the road so getting papers did not seem important at the time now that I have another parts truck I found in Port Renfrew (you can see a utube video of the last time that truck will ever run & drive just type in 1954 Fargo power wagon ) I am thinking of getting it on the road as well but nnot sure where to start on papers for it. I will ask ICBC (insurance corp. britishcolmbia)

Comment

Arizona Title

I recently purchased a 1948 B-1-PW-126 with no title. The Motor Vehicle Department required that I bring the truck in for inspection which was not feasible. They redirected me to a private contractor that works as an agent for the State. Anyway, the lady representative who came to inspect the truck stated that they had never worked with anything this old. The serial number did not run as a VIN for her and we did not see numbers on the frame. She decided that a plain metal tag just below the build plate on the door jamb and which showed just one number represented the VIN. This ran and returned the same truck that a run on the serial produced when I used the Power Wagon Page serial number finder. Based on this number, and after I posted a $23,000 bond (The average value placed on the Power Wagon according to their database) which bond cost $336, I now have an official Arizona Title (and five year license and registration with a real license plate and stickers) and I cannot find any reference to this being a bonded title on the paperwork.

Naturally, I am a little nervous about the accuracy of the VIN. If anyone has gotten a title based on this number (not the serial number), I'd like to hear about it.

Comment

Working...
                X