Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint color advice

Hello

I would like to restore the paint on my truck to how it was when it was new (from US).

I think it must have been something like these pictures I found on the net, is this a special military color?

There are a number of military OD [olive drab] colors. Some of the members here who are into the military trucks can offer more definitive answers to your question.

Although the lighting on the lower photo confused things a bit, you may be showing two different colors in your two photos.

Which model truck do you have? Could you post a photo of it?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      There are a number of military OD [olive drab] colors. Some of the members here who are into the military trucks can offer more definitive answers to your question.

Although the lighting on the lower photo confused things a bit, you may be showing two different colors in your two photos.

Which model truck do you have? Could you post a photo of it?
      1970 wm-300 exported to the danish military

Comment

Thank you. I posted here in the M-series forum to have some folks come over and consider your color question.

They will have some answers, I am sure.

Great truck you have. I like your earth mover or quarry truck, whatever that is, too!

Comment

Thank you. I posted here in the M-series forum to have some folks come over and consider your color question.

They will have some answers, I am sure.

Great truck you have. I like your earth mover or quarry truck, whatever that is, too!

I found this picture of what was described as a very original and very lowmilage truck (few hundred miles)

That color looks very much like the old original paint that my truck still has on the inside of the engine compartment.

If anybody has some specifications on that color it would be nice :-)

The quarry truck, is one of my fathers old six wheeled volvo dumpers from the seventies. They can still move a lot of earth ;-)

Comment

Here is one thing to examine during this discussion.

http://www.tm9ordnance.com/products.asp

Comment

I presume the Danish military was having these trucks painted the same as the US military colors of the day. If so, being a 1970 produced truck (it looks like a '40s era truck), it would likely be a semi-gloss OD 24087 which has a Brown-ish tint. It would be the same color as the Vietnam era US vehicle were painted. If it was an older truck, late '40s to mid-'50s, I would suggest the Korean War era semi-gloss OD which has more of a Green tint to it. Photos are hard to go by since they fade over time and if posted online, monitors don't always give a true color of the original. The truck you posted in post #5 looks like the Korean War shade of semi-gloss OD (though it does look a bit glossier than it should be).

Many folks take a part that they believe to have the original paint to a paint dealer and have them do a color match on their machines. Pre-Korean War, the paint would likely have been a flat color. Afterward, until the mid-'70s, it would have been a semi-gloss. So, if you have it matched at your paint store, keep that in mind.

Another site to look at information on OD colors is the GCI paint link on Army Jeep Parts.

Good luck and don't forget to post photos of the color you go with.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike L. View Post
                I presume the Danish military was having these trucks painted the same as the US military colors of the day. If so, being a 1970 produced truck (it looks like a '40s era truck), it would likely be a semi-gloss OD 24087 which has a Brown-ish tint. It would be the same color as the Vietnam era US vehicle were painted. If it was an older truck, late '40s to mid-'50s, I would suggest the Korean War era semi-gloss OD which has more of a Green tint to it. Photos are hard to go by since they fade over time and if posted online, monitors don't always give a true color of the original. The truck you posted in post #5 looks like the Korean War shade of semi-gloss OD (though it does look a bit glossier than it should be).

Many folks take a part that they believe to have the original paint to a paint dealer and have them do a color match on their machines. Pre-Korean War, the paint would likely have been a flat color. Afterward, until the mid-'70s, it would have been a semi-gloss. So, if you have it matched at your paint store, keep that in mind.

Another site to look at information on OD colors is the GCI paint link on Army Jeep Parts.

Good luck and don't forget to post photos of the color you go with.
                Nice, thanks for the links, the darkere 24087 looks a lot like the original color in my engine compartment.

I'll get the painter to color match the color in my engine compartment.

And yes, it does look like an older truck but all the numbers on the paperwork + prod. tag says its from 1970.

Its funny thinking about this old design was in military service until the beginning of the 1990's.

...and I started out thinking that military green was just military green, I have learned a little ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Roald View Post
                  Nice, thanks for the links, the darkere 24087 looks a lot like the original color in my engine compartment.

I'll get the painter to color match the color in my engine compartment.

And yes, it does look like an older truck but all the numbers on the paperwork + prod. tag says its from 1970.

Its funny thinking about this old design was in military service until the beginning of the 1990's.

...and I started out thinking that military green was just military green, I have learned a little ;-)
                  Part of Mike's point is you should be able to buy it by that number and have it be more accurate than matching an old paint sample. Plus, it would greatly simplify getting touchup paint in a production color.

Comment

Part of Mike's point is you should be able to buy it by that number and have it be more accurate than matching an old paint sample. Plus, it would greatly simplify getting touchup paint in a production color.
                    Yes I would prefer that, but I think I would have trouble shipping it to Denmark. Maybe by boat. I'll have to investigate that.

Comment

Working...
                    X