Lots of Questions from a Novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of Questions from a Novice

My siblings and I are liquidating our father's estate and want to put the Dodge Power Wagon 4x4 with winch and snow blade on the market. (I really don't want to sell it - it's a cute truck and I know their reputation for being work horses -- this one plowed snow and ran the tow rope at a local ski hill for years --, but I'm a woman with sons in their thirties who are both missionaries in Bolivia so it isn't practical to keep it.) We have questions.

1. We are in the process of applying for the title. (It was last used as a farm vehicle.) Is the serial number used as a VIN?

2. I looked up the serial number on a Dodge site and it seems to fit this description: WD-X, 1 ton, 4x4, 6 cylinder. What distinguishes that model? Is it a civilian or military vehicle? It doesn't have the original bed on it -- the current bed looks military.

3. Is there any way of knowing for sure what year it is? Dad called it a "48" and that fits the description above.

4. How do we market this truck? How do we set the price? A local historian offered us $1500; is it potentially worth more?

We are located just south of West Yellowstone, Montana, in Ashton, Idaho.

Thanks for any info you can share with us!

If you have the time, which I suspect you do, take your time, and take offers. Yes, it could be worth a lot more, depending on condition.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Squirrel,
      Can you post a few pictures here?
      It does sound like it could be a '48. The serial number is the VIN. On the driver door post there should be a data plate that lists the date manufactured and serial #, etc. Do you see it?
      As far as price, I would peruse this site, perhaps buy a single copy of the PWA magazine from the editor, Gordon. Also I would peruse Joe Cimoch's webpage, dodgepowerwagon.com. There is a photo classified section on there that may give you some input.
      Finally there is an ebay page with power wagons also. Occasionally there are trucks of a similar vintage as your fathers.
      If it is a runner with original paint and not rusted out, then $1500 is way too low in my opinion.
      Dave

Comment

We are in West Yellowstone right now but we're heading to S Dakota for a couple of days. We'll be heading back through Ashton on the way home. Would like to take a look at your truck.

We can be reached at (916) 425-7205, Jason.

Comment

I'm in Bozeman, MT and have a pretty good idea of pricing. If you posted pictures and gave a description of running abilities, that would help. I would be glad to speak to you on the phone. As Dave said - do some research. If it runs and is in decent shape, it could be worth three to four times your current offer. Matt 406.580.3591

Comment

In response to your questions, the serial number is the vin number. It should be on a plate located on the driver's door hinge pillar. If it is missing there, it is stamped in the frame, driver's side, front of front tire, facing out. On a 48 it could be almost to the frame extensions for the winch. This is an eight digit number, starting with an eight. The stamped letters are about 3/4" tall, and may require some light sanding to read. Take this number to the T137.com site, and there is a serial number decoder there. It will tell you when the truck was built, where, etc. On the exterior of the wheels, there is a two digit number stamped into the metal - if these read 47 or 48, they are most likely original to the truck. The engine should have a serial number that begins with T137, and a five digit number after. This number is viewed from the driver's side of the engine compartment, on a 3/4" by 4" smooth area below the head on the block, above the front most frost plug. Again, some sanding may be required. On the front of the winch, to the right hand side, should be a smooth area which has numbers and letters stamped into it. Yours should read MU2, and an R, and a serial number that begins with a 47 or 48. If it does, once again it is most likely original to the truck. The more original the truck is, the more valuable it can be. Body condition, cab modifications, mechanical operations etc all are items which govern price. Best of luck, Matt

Comment

Tom Howell at Snake River 4X4 is very near Ashton; he will be able to help you out locally. Tom is an honest guy, and a straight up dealer.

Comment

Thanks, you guys!

I apologize for not getting right on this -- we had an "old stuff sale" this week and were swamped. Anyway, we used the info you gave us and it seems like everything so far is original. The winch numbers, serial number, and engine number were where they should be and correct. The front tires have "48" stamped in them -- the back rims are quite greasy and I didn't try uncovering any numbers on them.

My son in Bolivia said he would post pictures of it for me and even a video taken while the engine is running. Not sure when that will get done, but maybe by early next week.

I really appreciate all the advice and help!

Comment

One more thing --

I've known Tom Howell since he was a little kid and am getting to know him again as we are living in his hometown after being away for years. He's the one who told us about it working at the ski hill for years. I didn't know he was so well-known around the country though. :o)

Comment

Photos

Here are the photos I've got. We'll get one of the engine bay and maybe a video as well.

https://picasaweb.google.com/MT4runn...COSyp5zN6tL4Ww

Two of the best:

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel1945 View Post
                      Here are the photos I've got. We'll get one of the engine bay and maybe a video as well.

https://picasaweb.google.com/MT4runn...COSyp5zN6tL4Ww

Two of the best:

Somebody's going to have a great base for a restoration. That metal looks rock solid. Georgia isn't too far a drvie for you to deliver is it?

Comment

More pics, video

Hi all

I added a couple photos of the gauge "cluster", and there's a video on YouTube as well:

http://youtu.be/Qwf-fa_hscM

Comment

We have the title --

Hi! We received the title for this rig already. The bids are up to $3,100.

JStinson, we have no desire to travel to Georgia in the summer, but you might consider a trip to Yellowstone!

Jason, did you get a chance to come by to see it on your way home?

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel1945 View Post
                            Hi! We received the title for this rig already. The bids are up to $3,100.

JStinson, we have no desire to travel to Georgia in the summer, but you might consider a trip to Yellowstone!

Jason, did you get a chance to come by to see it on your way home?
                            We didn't have time and I wanted to so bad. Didn't even get to meet Tom either.

My 04 Cummins blew the injectors in Cody, so I lost a day of travel time. My truck still didn't run well after the injector change and we were pulling a 36' fifthwheel. We all just wanted to get home without any other troubles.

Comment

Extending the sale --

I'm sorry to hear that, Jason. My siblings and I decided to extend the opportunities to take bids on the '48 Power Wagon until the end of July -- we are still getting inquiries.

Comment

Working...
                              X