Nv4500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nv4500

Hi everyone, I've had my 53 B3 PW for 15 years now, dragging it from place to place as life has taken it's twists n turns. Now I can get a little serious about working on it. I'm going to use a Chrysler 360, that much I know. I'd rather put an NV4500 behind it rather than the NP435. I'd really like some thoughts on this....other than my own. Thank you in advance,
    Mark

The OD ratio on them is about as good as you'll find outside of something custom. The big downsides are the special (read: expensive) fluid they require and the 5th gear OD nut issue, which is really only found in heavily used transmissions but is something to look at.

Outside of that the biggest issue I see to using one is fitment. The Dodge 2WD versions had a long tailshaft on them, I'm not sure it will fit in front of the stock transfer case.

The alternative then would be to use the Dodge 4WD version and it's attached NP-205, but that leads to two issues of its own: making the new transfer case fit and work in the old truck (the 200 and 205 are closely related so this isn't super hard), and the bigger issue of the rear ouput.

The 205 doesn't have a drop rear output, they were designed for a centered rear axle. You could convert to a centered rear axle but that's even more work and you'll need to have your driveshafts modified or replaced too.

Comment

Nv4500

Hi DeSoto, thanks for the reply. My thought is to use the 2 WD NV4500 and the stock TC. My question would be the overall length as you noted and mating the output shaft to the TC. Not sure if the TC would need to be set back and how difficult that would be. Driveshafts would have to be modified in that case but that seems the lesser of all the evils. Any suggestions of year and model of donor vehicle for the trans, or a good source? Thanks.

Comment

Might want to look at some of the nv4500 sites like quad 4x4 about the differences between all the various versions. You might be able to buy/build a hybrid that will work better for your application. I know the GM 2WD versions have a shorter tail shaft than the Dodge versions, but the bolting face to the bell housing is the same on later models. So by swapping out the input shaft on a shorter GM 2WD you might be able to bolt it up to the back of your Dodge motor and not have to move your transfer case depending on where you mount the engine.

My build is using the Cummins 4BT with the Chevy NV4500 2WD as it's the only version that will bolt up and be short enough that I can use the stock transfer case.

It's more expensive than going with the Dodge setup and the attached NP205, but I already rebuilt and upgraded my NP200 so I'd like to keep it.

Comment

Nv4500

What did you do to upgrade your 200?

Comment

Charles Talbert has some upgrade parts, not that much needs upgraded, but since I had it apart it was easy to do.

Comment

Nv4500

Ok, I'll check with him and do some more research on the trans. Thanks, Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ringodog View Post
                Hi DeSoto, thanks for the reply. My thought is to use the 2 WD NV4500 and the stock TC. My question would be the overall length as you noted and mating the output shaft to the TC. Not sure if the TC would need to be set back and how difficult that would be. Driveshafts would have to be modified in that case but that seems the lesser of all the evils. Any suggestions of year and model of donor vehicle for the trans, or a good source? Thanks.
                I have a 360 LA engine with NV4500 transmission in my M37. I used the Chevy 2 WD tailshaft version which is the shortest combination. The overall length of this setup (water pump flange to tailshaft) is 8" longer than the stock 231 engine/transmission combo. To accomodate the extra length I moved the transfer case back and the radiator forward, this allowed me to use an approximately 9" long intermediate shaft to the transfer case.

Frank

Comment

Nv4500

Hi Frank, Great information. How do you like that combination? What gears and tire size? How did you rig the shift rods for the TC?
                  Thanks, mark

Comment

Hi Frank, Great information. How do you like that combination? What gears and tire size? How did you rig the shift rods for the TC?
                    Thanks, mark
                    I am running the original 5.83 gears with 12.00 x 38" TSL Swampers. At 60 I am turning approximately 2100 rpms in 5th gear. Transfer case shift rods had to be modified to fit the NV4500.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Irons View Post
                      I am running the original 5.83 gears with 12.00 x 38" TSL Swampers. At 60 I am turning approximately 2100 rpms in 5th gear. Transfer case shift rods had to be modified to fit the NV4500.

Frank
                      When the time comes I'd like to get some info on that. What was the source of the motor? Carb? Stock manifolds? Thanks for your patience with all my questions.
                      Mark

Comment

When the time comes I'd like to get some info on that. What was the source of the motor? Carb? Stock manifolds? Thanks for your patience with all my questions.
                        Mark
                        Engine is from a '79 W200, carb is an Edelbrock 4 barrel, manifolds are stock.

Frank

Comment

Working...
                        X