Closing the Gaps Between Transfer Case Levers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing the Gaps Between Transfer Case Levers

After being on this forum for only a few weeks and getting a bunch of useful info, guidance and tips, I may now have something to offer.

I've owned my 61 PW for a total of five days and am spending a ton of time with it and I know that will continue much to my wife's regret. Oh well...

Living in Alaska, I was concerned about the gaps between the 4 whl drive levers and how much cold they will let in during our frigid winters. I checked this site and couldn't find much on the subject; it might be here, but I couldn't find it doing a search.

I took some half inch self sticking Velcro and attached on each side of the leather draft pad openings. After waiting 24 hours, the self adhesive hadn't stuck. I went to a fabric shop and the woman told me to take rubbing alcohol and rub it into the leather where the Velcro would adhere and then she sold me something called Instant Vinyl, an adhesive for mending tears in leather and vinyl. I applied that product last night and it worked. The Velcro held and the only gap is a small one inch space where the levers are closest.

We'll see how it holds up particularly when it hits -20 or lower, but for now it seems like an inexpensive and easy fix to keep the cold, dust and exhaust fumes out of my cab.

I don't recall seeing any one with anything that would "seal" the opening. I have seen some use a "bristle" finger like materials to keep some of the gunk out, but it won't help with air. There might be some Arctic kit that went with the heaters, but don't know.

If it was me, I'd probably make a leather boot, with two cones (one for each lever) and use it to seal out the drafts.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

For years I just had old T-shirts stuffed in the slots. When I wanted to move the levers I would pull the shirts out, move the levers, and put the shirts back in the slots.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Closing the Gaps...

Well, the Velcro seems to be sealing the air out pretty well right now, but if the cold deteriorates the adhesive I'll try the tee shirt option and see what cones I could make. The other option is to have the Velcro sewed to the leather, probably try that first since the Velcro fix is not really noticeable.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
          For years I just had old T-shirts stuffed in the slots. When I wanted to move the levers I would pull the shirts out, move the levers, and put the shirts back in the slots.

Reminds me of the millions of dollars that NASA spent developing a pen that wrote in zero gravity. Meanwhile, the Soviets used pencils.

Comment

Closing the Gaps...

Yep, you're right...$10 for Velcro and glue vs t-shirts...whatever works for each PW owner. And, I have packed two t-shirts under my seat per Gordon's advice. NASA taught me to always have at least one back-up system.

Signed,

Former NASA contract program manager (1996-2000)

Comment

I've looked for a boot like this, for several years. This Jeep boot is too short for the PW but I bet the concept would work.
              The problem is the forming run is 1,000 units.

Comment

Closing the Gaps...

These would be nice!

Comment

We have used EPDM rubber for custom cutting the seals for years on the custom trucks we build; also machined a frame from aluminum to attach it to the trans cover. Have a look at the red '63 WM300 on our site, I'm sure there are some shots of that area in the slide show on the photo client page.

Comment

Closing the Gaps...

Want to sell me a setup for my 61?

Comment

Originally posted by KenaiGary View Post
                      Want to sell me a setup for my 61?
                      Really busy at the moment, if you can give me a little time, I'll be happy to help you.

Comment

Closing the Gaps

Just let me know. No hurry. Thanks, Charles.

Comment

Working...
                        X