Slow Fuel Fill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Fuel Fill

Another new guy question: I filled my 61 M300 with gas for the first time the other day and it took a very long time to put in 10 gallons. Yeah, I know I've had it for about a month and should be driving it more, but I continue to work on some items.

I did a search on the site and couldn't find anything. I realize the filler neck and route to the tank is almost more horizontal than vertical so I will experience some back pressure, but didn't expect quite as much. The tank has been sandblasted, the filler neck and pipe are new. Should it take a such a long time to fill the tank? I have no reference except owning in the past a 1949 Packard, 1961 International Scout, 1967 International Harvester pickup and 1961 Corvette and none of them took this long to fuel.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Originally posted by KenaiGary View Post
    Another new guy question: I filled my 61 M300 with gas for the first time the other day and it took a very long time to put in 10 gallons. Yeah, I know I've had it for about a month and should be driving it more, but I continue to work on some items.

I did a search on the site and couldn't find anything. I realize the filler neck and route to the tank is almost more horizontal than vertical so I will experience some back pressure, but didn't expect quite as much. The tank has been sandblasted, the filler neck and pipe are new. Should it take a such a long time to fill the tank? I have no reference except owning in the past a 1949 Packard, 1961 International Scout, 1967 International Harvester pickup and 1961 Corvette and none of them took this long to fuel.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Even if you have the vent tube that should be in the filler neck, and it is bent correctly, the horizontal nature of the fill tube means that it should take somewhat longer to fill than a modern vehicle. That is the nature of the Power Wagon.

Then there are the fuel pumps that different gas stations use. My local station uses Wayne fuel pumps and it is next to impossible to get them to pump slowly enough. They operate kind of like a light switch - full on or full off. The process goes like this: give it full flow, shut off right before the gasoline gushes out at you, wait for the filler neck to drain, repeat process.

If I travel into town, there are stations that have Gilbarco fuel pumps. They seem to have much more of a gradual control. I can regulate them to partial pressure and fill my tank a lot faster without stopping.

Something that may also help. Look for a fuel island that is slightly on the incline. Then park the truck on the downhill side so the filler tube runs downhill to your tank.

Its all in the small details......

Comment

Carry a block of wood to drive upon at the pump, raising that side of the truck.

Bucky

Comment

Slow Fuel Fill

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Clint, I think all our local stations have the Wayne pumps and I went through what you describe. I'm glad to hear that what I experienced is normal.

I've said it before, but I have never experienced such a great group of folks who are so willing to provide such expert advice. I hope to be able to give back as much as I can even though I am so new.

I'm surprised at how few PWs seem to be in Alaska considering that many made the initial trek up the Alcan highway in the 1950s. Now that I have two, I am on the lookout for those that are sitting in fields and junkyards. Just this week I spotted at least four within an hour of where I live at private residences. We also have four junkyards in the area and who knows what they have so on Saturday a buddy and I are going to do a PW scouting trip and junkyard tour...can't wait. It seems like this is an area that no one has really "worked" for PWs.

With that in mind, I registered a Internet domain last night, AlaskaPowerWagons.com. Who knows what this will lead to, but it could be fun.

Comment

wait, there is supposed to be a vent in the filler neck?

Comment

Working...
          X