Value comparison of different models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value comparison of different models?

I was wondering, comparing trucks of equivalent condition what are the more desired/hard to find/valuable models of power wagons? Are they all pretty much the same?

Regarding the 1-ton Power Wagon, models WDX to WM300, there are not many differences.

Questions to consider include [potential] desirability of a syncromech transmission, 12 volt electrical systems, and a 251 engine rather than a 230.

Some want a newer one because it is newer, and some want an older one because it is older.

Others may weigh in here with perspectives.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      Regarding the 1-ton Power Wagon, models WDX to WM300, there are not many differences.

Questions to consider include [potential] desirability of a syncromech transmission, 12 volt electrical systems, and a 251 engine rather than a 230.

Some want a newer one because it is newer, and some want an older one because it is older.

Others may weigh in here with perspectives.

When did the 251 engine become available?

Comment

Comment

Then you have the dash configuration and bed sides changes.

Other than the stuff listed above its mostly little stuff that can be added if found like ash tray, shocks etc etc. Unless you want 3 point hitch etc.

There were a lot that were outfitted for various work like brush trucks, pole setters etc etc.

That was a lot of etcs...
          1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
          1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
          1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

..Thats interesting.....Was the 3 pt. hitch only available in certain year models...I would like to try to find one for my 53...

Comment

Short history

Originally posted by Blaszer View Post
              ..Thats interesting.....Was the 3 pt. hitch only available in certain year models...I would like to try to find one for my 53...
              The concepting and prototyping of the Power Wagon version of the Monroe Hydraulic Lift Kit (3-point hitch) probably began soon after the Monroe Auto Equipment Company first developed, tested, and patented the lift for the Jeep Universal. Testing for the Jeep version was completed in 1947 and the patent was applied for on February 14, 1948.

The first pieces of Dodge literature I have that mention the Monroe Lift are pages from the Dodge Special Equipment Catalog, dated October 15, 1949. The last I see it shown in any factory literature is in an undated Power Wagon sales brochure. The era of this piece can be narrowed down by studying images within it, observing what year model of trucks they represent, and comparing it to other dated pieces that show some of these same images. From this information, this piece appears to have been released somewhere between 1952 and 1955. That would put the range of availability of the lift from roughly between 1949 and 1955.

I know, from photos and video, that at least six lifts were produced in at least three slightly different versions. I have seen an invoice for one that was delivered on a truck to a dealership in Wisconsin. Above that, mention of any others have been only through rumors. I had previously corresponded at length with a gentleman in Canada who claimed to know of an older man who had owned one at one time and there have been reports of one appearing at tractor shows in and around New York state and Pennsylvania. However no one has ever volunteered photos as proof.

It took me 14 years to find mine. It was new but not complete and I had to make some of the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                The concepting and prototyping of the Power Wagon version of the Monroe Hydraulic Lift Kit (3-point hitch) probably began soon after the Monroe Auto Equipment Company first developed, tested, and patented the lift for the Jeep Universal. Testing for the Jeep version was completed in 1947 and the patent was applied for on February 14, 1948.

The first pieces of Dodge literature I have that mention the Monroe Lift are pages from the Dodge Special Equipment Catalog, dated October 15, 1949. The last I see it shown in any factory literature is in an undated Power Wagon sales brochure. The era of this piece can be narrowed down by studying images within it, observing what year model of trucks they represent, and comparing it to other dated pieces that show some of these same images. From this information, this piece appears to have been released somewhere between 1952 and 1955. That would put the range of availability of the lift from roughly between 1949 and 1955.

I know, from photos and video, that at least six lifts were produced in at least three slightly different versions. I have seen an invoice for one that was delivered on a truck to a dealership in Wisconsin. Above that, mention of any others have been only through rumors. I had previously corresponded at length with a gentleman in Canada who claimed to know of an older man who had owned one at one time and there have been reports of one appearing at tractor shows in and around New York state and Pennsylvania. However no one has ever volunteered photos as proof.

It took me 14 years to find mine. It was new but not complete and I had to make some of the parts.

Thank you, Clint!

Comment

Working...
                X