Cab value and availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab value and availability

I'm looking at a 1948 truck that looks pretty good except the cab is pretty dinged up. How much of a deal killer is that? Are replacement cabs fairly easy to find and if so what kind of money do they usually go for?

Cabs are pretty easy to find. Finding one that's worth putting on is another matter. Most are pretty beat up or rusted and probably not any better than yours.

Generally, you are way ahead by finding (and paying for) a truck already in decent condition.

Truck cabs can go for about $100 and (way) up, again depending on condition. Remember, you need to get a cab with the correct configuration dash so you can use your gauges. Don't forget about the cost of shipping the cab if you can't pick it up. It's probably going to cost about as much as shipping a small car.

If your cab is beat up, what about the condition of the doors? A set of nice doors with good glass can be more expensive than a cab.

If you remove the cab, you will certainly have to replace the wiring. Custom wiring harnesses are expensive, although you can make your own. And then, there are all the other things you will find that need attention when you take off the cab.

Unless you are doing a restore, putting on another cab may not make financial sense. If your cab is just "dinged up" you are probably better off working with it. Rust is the real killer. Dings are a sign of character.

Before buying, have someone who knows about Power Wagons look at it.

Comment

Doors have some rust at the bottoms but ok otherwise. Here is where the cab is banged up.

Comment

That looks good Brutus. All you need is some elbow, grease, sweat, couple beers and a few cus words and she'll buff right out!

Comment

I think there are plenty of owners who would gladly exchange their rust for your dents.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
            I think there are plenty of owners who would gladly exchange their rust for your dents.

Yeah I'll pass on that one. Think it will be easier for me to learn how to pound out dents than fix rust through...

Comment

Working...
            X