No announcement yet.

power wagon wheel bolt pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have time now to reference examples and will try to do so this evening, but there are 20" rims that fit the power wagon that accept 1100 x 20 tires. I have some and there are plenty of examples in this forum.
    DavidGB

Comment

Now that's the adapter I would want if I went with a modern axle under out trucks to keep the vintage PW look of the wheels. I think Legacy Power Wagon Conversions should use an adapter like this on their trucks as well.
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Once again it's best to "never say never", because I'm eating my words here. You sent me back to the books. In 1946 Budd was selling DRW 20" wheels having the 5 x 6 7/8" pattern. They were #33855D1 having a 4.33" Firestone "RH" mounting, #33469D1 having a 4.33" Goodyear "L" mounting, #33469D3 having a 4.5" Goodyear "LW" mounting, #34210 having a 5.0" Firestone "RH" mounting, and #35085D1 having a 5.0" Goodyear "L" mounting. These wheels did not appear in Budd's 1944 catalog, and were delisted in their 1949 catalog. No doubt these wheels were military surplus. You've still got me puzzled by the 11" tires. Those rims must be 7.5" or 8" wide to accept those tires, and you're sure they aren't custom wheels. Correct? Do you find any part numbers on them? I'd appreciate links to old discussions about them.

I have seen two other examples where military spec wheels were not shown in civilian catalogs. Most striking, our 16" Budds in the 5.5" and 6.5" widths first appear in 1946. Again, not in Budd's 1944 catalog. And recently, a friend bought a 19.5" wheel having the 6 lug x 7.25" pattern off Craigs List. He described it to me as a 19.5" x 6" SRW design. No part number on it which says it's Kelsey-Hayes. I doubted him because this pattern went out of use in 1968 (Dodge and IHC), and Ford in 1966. No period listing shows a 6" wheel like this, only in a 5.25" width. However, I researched and found that it FIRST appears in 1984 listings which is long after the bolt pattern went out of civilian use.

I know the M715s and later PWs and IHCs used this bolt pattern, but am surprised they'd have used these in the 19.5" tubeless design. Maybe only in non-war zone service. Anybody know anything about these 19.5s? Stu

Comment

Hey Stu, We've meet haven't we? I'm about 45 miles east of you.

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

Comment

Not sure. Are you the fellow that bought the FFPW I sold to the guy in Beardstown? Is so we've talked few times on the phone about parts but I don't think we've met. That truck I sold was complete and together, the one I kept was in pieces. And still is I regret to admit. Stu

Comment

My head hurts with all this info. I'm just wanting to get some 38ish" tires to replace the old 9.00/16 I have now. But most places around here tell me I need to get tubeless rims. I would rather stay away from xx.5" rims due to the smaller bead lip.

Comment

Originally posted by truckdog62563 View Post
                Not sure. Are you the fellow that bought the FFPW I sold to the guy in Beardstown? Is so we've talked few times on the phone about parts but I don't think we've met. That truck I sold was complete and together, the one I kept was in pieces. And still is I regret to admit. Stu
                Nope wasn't me. I met a guy at a Antique Tractor Show in Greenville Il once that I thought lived up near Springfield, though it might have been you.

I'm outside Decatur/Mt. Zion.

Will
                My Dodge Power Wagons

Thanks,
                Will
                WAWII.com

Comment

Re: large tires and/or 20" rims

Ggg6,
                  First off, if what you want is 38ish inches of diameter then I would try and track down a set of Michelin 1100 x 16 XL tires. Awesome tires.
                  Secondly, if you wish to put a modern tubeless radial on an original PW type rim you will (and can) need to use radial flaps and radial tubes, stress radial.
                  Thirdly, I bought the 20" rims I have on my Carryall back in 2004 from a fellow named Bryan Sage in Colo. I did not query him at the time as to the source. There is some discussion on this in old threads on this forum. There are pictures also in various threads.
                  Fourthly, many participants on this forum have gone many routes with regard to mounting large tires on PWs. Recently I initiated a discussion about putting Michelin XML 325/85 R16's on PW rims. You can view this thread "Michelin XMLs" under the Conversions and Modifications category. I have decided to wait and have custom rims built.
                  I believe there are other tires that may work as well. They come and go. Years ago, Dick Cepek made a great 16" radial tire that was 38" tall that I put on a PW. They don't seem to make it anymore sadly. Various TSL's are available but are expensive and are really an off-road tire.
                  DavidGB

Comment

David thankyou for the info. Unfortunately I can't search so I am limited to current post info.

Comment

Could someone help me out on the torque for the bud wheels. Mine is a 1949 B-1-pw.

Thanks

Comment

Period wheel literature from Budd, K-H, and Firestone/Accuride specifies that our "stud piloted" type mountings should have 450 - 500 pounds of dry torque. I've read a lot of opinions on different forums disputing the dry mounting aspect, and have heard from guys who've been in the trade and learned OJT who've used oil, anti-seize, etc. The only times oil is approved by the manufacturers is on "hub piloted" type mountings, and then with much reduced torque settings. Anti-seize is never approved for use on lug nuts.

Normal air guns won't get to this torque level, either when installing or removing nuts. If you're not doing a lot of wheel work you're best to have this done at a big truck tire shop. Also, keep in mind that you have both left hand and right hand threads. Stu McMillan

Comment

Working...
                        X