Differential thrust pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential thrust pad

I was taking out the differential pumpkin from the front axle to check things out and put in a new gasket. I heard something fall out and into the housing. After looking at the piece of metal and the service book I decided it was the "axle drive gear thrust pad". I see where it goes in the differential and the service manual talks about putting it back in on a rebuild but really does not say what the procedure is for setting it up. I know there is an adjusting screw and nut for it but I must be missing something here. Anyone know what is the best course of action to take?
    1949 B-1 PW
    1950 B-2 PW
    1965 WM300
    1968 D200 camper special (W200 conversion)
    1970 Challenger RT 383
    1987 Ramcharger 4x4
    1991.5 W250 diesel
    1999 Jeep Cherokee limited 4x4
    2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Leaving for work now, but.... I believe there is text in the manual about it. The procedure is a run it out until it contacts, back it off a specified amount, and then lock it.

Look some more in your manual, and others will be along.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

If it fell out, either the pad is broke, the bolt is broke, or someone screwed with the screw.

There is a gap specification for when it's installed correctly, but I don't seem to have it handy right now, sorry.
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

I think I found it. It talks about if you put in a new ring gear to run the screw in until the pad drags on the ring gear, then back off a 1/8 turn for a .006 to .008 clearance. Should work for me if I can get it back in there.

Will, nothing looks broken as of yet and I know the screw has not been messed with as long as I've had it, but who knows before that (non running truck sitting in a field).
        1949 B-1 PW
        1950 B-2 PW
        1965 WM300
        1968 D200 camper special (W200 conversion)
        1970 Challenger RT 383
        1987 Ramcharger 4x4
        1991.5 W250 diesel
        1999 Jeep Cherokee limited 4x4
        2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Comment

Unless the gap was excessive, the bolt rest in a recess in the pad, and properly adjusted it can't come out. Good luck, and those gaps sound right my what I remember.
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

The gap of .006-.008 is correct. As mentioned, unless there is a problem somewhere it can't get out. I'd suggest some serious looking around to see what has gone on. You will have problems unless the pad is in place and correctly adjusted. You may already have gear tooth issues if it has not been correctly adjusted with the truck running for some time. It can also very likely be an issue where someone didn't know how to set the gears up correctly along with the pad. I really would not fell good about not pulling the carrier off the housing just to perform a good visual inspection of the whole set up. Never will be an easier time, and the pad will be much easier to reinstall with the carier removed.

Comment

Working...
            X