No announcement yet.

door window regulator (non wing vented)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• door window regulator (non wing vented)

I have removed the regulator assemblies and glass lower channels from my doors. I need to have new glass cut due to young children playing with rocks. What I found is two different types of regulators and lower channels. One has two independent arms lifting a channel with two separate tracks. ( looks like the better method) The other has a regulator assembly like shown for a door with a wing window. The lower channel for it has only one track located at only one end. The two lift arm regulator wouldn't work with this track. Do I put it back as was or change the odd set up? The truck was not restored and I don't know if they both worked or how well. These are the best doors I have, and the only non-vent ones. Thanks for the advice. Jim

Originally posted by bobyepsr View Post
    I have removed the regulator assemblies and glass lower channels from my doors. I need to have new glass cut due to young children playing with rocks. What I found is two different types of regulators and lower channels. One has two independent arms lifting a channel with two separate tracks. ( looks like the better method) The other has a regulator assembly like shown for a door with a wing window. The lower channel for it has only one track located at only one end. The two lift arm regulator wouldn't work with this track. Do I put it back as was or change the odd set up? The truck was not restored and I don't know if they both worked or how well. These are the best doors I have, and the only non-vent ones. Thanks for the advice. Jim
    I would leave the parts as you found them. The one with the 4-link parallel arms may wear out quicker because of the cantilevered weight of a full window placed upon it, but if it has lasted this long and still works fine, it should be okay.

If you ever plan to change to vent windows, you will have to not only change out the earlier independant (two arm) regulator, you will also have to change the door shell if it is still original to the assembly. The original doors do not have the correct stamped shape to accept the unique vent window track and hardware.

It is not uncommon to find missmatched sets on early trucks with non-vent windows.

Comment

From what I have been able to gather, Dodge switched over to the 2 piece style regulators and did away with the one piece style. As far as I know it happened pretty quickly once the WDX style Power Wagons were released. Maybe in the late 40's or early 50's? Eric B will have the scoop here.

I agree with you that the one piece give a more even "push" from the bottom and I use them because of that on one piece door glass trucks. The closed cab '41 militarys used the one piece design regulators too. Aftermarket manufacturers made them to at the time in both styles and I have some of those NOS ones here.

As always with Dodge, they used up the inventory so it's hard to say anything for sure/always.

If you have the window tracks, use them with your current set up as Clint stated.

Comment

Working...
      X