Help ID my heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ID my heater

Can anyone please help me ID this heater?
    It is in my '48 B-1.

It doesnt look like a 36 or a 61.

Were there any other types of heaters?

Thanks.

Josh
    Attached Files

Anyone... Anyone... Anyone... Bueller... Bueller????????

Comment

Pretty sure it's not one of the Mopar Models.
      Most likely an aftermarket unit from a auto-parts store back in the day.
      You could get them from Western Auto,Sears, etc.
      "Arvin" was a huge maker of aftermarket heaters, could be one of theres.May be, if you dismantled it there might be a paper tag or ink stamped Info. inside.
      Sorry I can't be of more help but finding someone who actually has seen that heater and knows is ,well kind'a like winning a lottery.
      Heaters were dealer or customer installed so it's anybody's guess.
      TGP
      WDX & Misc. Pics.
      http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
      "47" Dodge WDX WW
      "52" Dodge M-37 WW
      "54" Willys M38A1
      "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
      "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
      "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
      "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
      "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
      "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Thanks Tom, that's good info. I had no idea that there were other manufacturers.
        Good to know.
        Thanks,
        Munsk.

Comment

One of my trucks had an Arvin heater with a lighted knob. It brought a cheery, red glow to the cab. I think the red light put out as much heat as the heater. The heaters in old trucks were never very good.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I think this truck has a heater bypass. There is a valve mounted under the dash (almost centered), and I think that it must have been to get the engine up to temp sooner. It also had an in-line heater in the hose that runs from the theromostat housing to the heater, but I removed that already. If I think it is necessary, I will install a "Freeze Plug Heater" at a later date. Right now I am just going to focus on the basics.

Before Tom answered my question, I didn't know that there were other brands of heaters. All the info I have found on heaters was on the dodgepowerwagon.com webstie, and it didn't tell me much, just the pics of the two types.

I learned a lot today, I am glad I started this thread.

Thanks,

Munsk.

Comment

If there is a valve that can interrupt flow to the heater core it is not to aid in engine warming. It is to shut off coolant to the heater in the summer. Even though those heaters did a poor job in winter, they would also do a great job of heating your cab in summer. Even if the fan was off, coolant flow through the heater kept the core hot and that warmed cabin air. Those valves were pretty common for that reason.

Comment

I had that thought Gordon, but with my diesel brain, I assumed that a hot engine was desirable. Probably not so on a 1948 L6 Gasser...

I was planning on removing that valve, but maybey I should keep it.
                I may, however, relocate it to a less obvious location.

Thanks,
                Munsk.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                  I had that thought Gordon, but with my diesel brain, I assumed that a hot engine was desirable. Probably not so on a 1948 L6 Gasser...

I was planning on removing that valve, but maybe I should keep it.
                  I may, however, relocate it to a less obvious location.

Thanks,
                  Munsk.
                  A warm engine is desirable, but no one would have been willing to mess with a valve every time they drove the truck.

Comment

This truck, I believe, was a "Brush Truck" for the Spokeane Fire Department.

There is stuff welded to the frame, the frame is extended, I wasn't sure what was "stock" and what wasn't.

Somebody even stuck a gas tank behind the seats. I have my work cut out for me.

Thanks for the info.

Munsk.

Comment

Working...
                    X