Winch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winch Question

What do the three numbers after the MU2- mean? My Dad's winch is MU2-134... for instance. I didn't see an explanation for those numbers on the T137 page....
    Thanks,
    Munsk.

Originally posted by Josh View Post
    What do the three numbers after the MU2- mean? My Dad's winch is MU2-134... for instance. I didn't see an explanation for those numbers on the T137 page....
    Thanks,
    Munsk.
    Without walking out the the shed and looking at my winches, that sounds like the part number cast into the case cap.

Comment

By cast number, you mean that Braden would only have made a limited number of winches with the same numbers? Once that cast was ruined, they moved on to a different number?
      Thanks Clint.
      Munsk.

Comment

Josh, there should be a flat place in the casting, to the right of the winch. First line should read mu-2, and then a separate R. Second line should have several numbers, the first two of which are the year built. Your father's winch most likely has a 5 before the numbers you quoted, making it a 1951. The other numbers were most likely sequential build numbers, but it is unknown if they were only for mu-2s or all winches Braden built. That is my educated guess. Matt

Comment

Mu-2

Raised cast numbers are casting numbers and the # cited is a typical MU2 casting number. I believe that any number such as a serial number that would be specific to that one winch would be stamped in. Most likely on the flat spot on top of the main gear case body as mentioned by Matt.
          DavidGB

Comment

I suppose is should clarify some...

The numbers I was referring to are down on the Worm housing. They are cast into the side, and are big raised numbers.

The flat spot on top has the MU2 and the serial number stamped into it.
            I was just asking because I was a little paranoid that we bought the wrong winch. I found this one on ebay a couple of years ago and I had my Dad buy it for his '51. We bought it from a Jeep guy out in OR, and I just wanted to be sure that it was going to work for a PW. After rereading the model number explanation on the T137 page I was pretty sure that I had bought the correct winch.

It has been on the floor of my garage for a couple years and I am cleaning it up and was thinking of giving it to him for Christmas. I was going to drop it off at the Powder Coater's shop today.

Neither my Dad's '51 or my PW have winches on them currently (his ambulance does). My opinion is that a winch is a MUST have for a real PW!

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
            Munsk.

Comment

MU-2 Manual

I have an additional question...

Does anybody have a MU2 winch manual, or know of a PW manual that has a very good winch section?

Even if I just had an e-copy, or photocopies, I could take it to a print shop and have it made into a real manual.

It would be nice to have at least one copy between my Dad and I...

Thanks again.
              Munsk.

Comment

I suppose is should clarify some...

The numbers I was referring to are down on the Worm housing. They are cast into the side, and are big raised numbers.

The flat spot on top has the MU2 and the serial number stamped into it.
                I was just asking because I was a little paranoid that we bought the wrong winch. I found this one on ebay a couple of years ago and I had my Dad buy it for his '51. We bought it from a Jeep guy out in OR, and I just wanted to be sure that it was going to work for a PW. After rereading the model number explanation on the T137 page I was pretty sure that I had bought the correct winch.

It has been on the floor of my garage for a couple years and I am cleaning it up and was thinking of giving it to him for Christmas. I was going to drop it off at the Powder Coater's shop today.

Neither my Dad's '51 or my PW have winches on them currently (his ambulance does). My opinion is that a winch is a MUST have for a real PW!

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
                Munsk.
                That number is just the part number for that indivudual part. Each part of the winch had a part number, some of the cast parts had the part number cast right into them.

Comment

Does anybody have a MU2 winch manual, or know of a PW manual that has a very good winch section?

Even if I just had an e-copy, or photocopies, I could take it to a print shop and have it made into a real manual.

Thanks again.
                  Munsk.
                  Here are some manuals on the t137 site:

http://www.t137.com/ToddSomers/Winch/index.htm

Thanks to Phil Street and Todd Somers.

Comment

Thanks again.
                    Munsk.
                    If your looking for rebuild info there are also some great threads here, probably in the archive section.

Comment

Thanks everybody! I knew I had seen the manuals somewhere on the interweb.

In all this process, I think I found a MU2 for my PW, and it's right here in Montana!!!

I appreciate all your help.

Thanks,

Munsk.

Comment

Thanks everybody! I knew I had seen the manuals somewhere on the interweb.

In all this process, I think I found a MU2 for my PW, and it's right here in Montana!!!

I appreciate all your help.

Thanks,

Munsk.
                        I hope you're able to get all the bits and pieces (PTO, shaft, shift lever, etc.) from the same place. I think that at least two of the bolts that mount the PTO to the transmission are special, "centering bolts". If the PTO is being removed from a trans, make sure to get those bolts too.

Anybody know where to get these bolts, or is there some other way of locating the PTO on the trans?

Comment

Originally posted by gmharris View Post
                          I hope you're able to get all the bits and pieces (PTO, shaft, shift lever, etc.) from the same place. I think that at least two of the bolts that mount the PTO to the transmission are special, "centering bolts". If the PTO is being removed from a trans, make sure to get those bolts too.

Anybody know where to get these bolts, or is there some other way of locating the PTO on the trans?
                          That is a good tip gmharris, however I am pretty sure my PW had a winch originally, as the PTO is still on my trans, along with the shift lever.
                          And the winch comes with the PTO shaft. WAHOO!!!

I think I hit the jackpot, but I won't know for sure until I pick it up in a couple weeks.

Thanks for a great tip and everyone's help.

I do not know about the PTO bolts, but I'm sure Mr. Dixon would have an idea as would a lot of other guys on here.

Thanks again.

Munsk.

Comment

That is a good tip gmharris, however I am pretty sure my PW had a winch originally, as the PTO is still on my trans, along with the shift lever.

I think I hit the jackpot, but I won't know for sure until I pick it up in a couple weeks.

I do not know about the PTO bolts, but I'm sure Mr. Dixon would have an idea as would a lot of other guys on here.

Thanks again.

Munsk.
                            You are one lucky guy. You avoid the hassle of installing the PTO. I have read that it is either difficult or impossible to do without removing the trans.

Comment

Thanks again.

Munsk.
                              Dan Minninger has made some of these special bolts. Not sure if he has any left and if he is a member of this forum. You can probably reach him over at the Joe's Power Wagon page.

Comment

Working...
                              X