Bed Alternatives - Diamond Plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bed Alternatives - Diamond Plate?

I'm looking at alternatives to a wooden bed for my '66 WM300 rebuild. Has anyone done a metal bed? I'm thinking about using diamond plate and a set of runner strips similar to the wood bed. I've done a number of searches but have not found any references to this approach. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

I like stainless diamond plate have seen a few trucks with it but it is not cheap , why add runner strips ?

Comment

metal bed

Originally posted by oldmopar View Post
      I like stainless diamond plate have seen a few trucks with it but it is not cheap , why add runner strips ?
      I thought of using runners for two reasons. I might be able to get the 1/4" steel diamond plate cheaper in smaller widths (maybe 8"-10") and easier to handle and place, and second, I was thinking of using 1/2" steel channel front to back under the diamond plate for strength. This gives me the 3/4" bed depth for clearances.

The flat steel runners set on top of the diamond plate where the traditional bed strips would have run joining the boards. I would counter sink square drive tapered head bolts through the runners, and bolt through the plate and channel to the cross original members.

A full size sheet of 1/4 diamond plate looks to be about 375lbs.

Comment

My bed is basically built out of diamond plate. I plan on just patching it up, putting in a new floor and figuring out some sort of tailgate setup.

Comment

Maybe aluminum is a better approach over steel??

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking of going with aluminum instead of steel. Planning to install the aluminum diamond plate bed floor on top of 5 evenly spaced front to rear steel C-channel for better support, and then bolt through the floor, the channel and into the cross members.

Any suggestions on thickness?": Can I go with 3/16 or should I use the 1/4? The sheet price is about 1/3 more for the 1/4" and it's way heavier. Thanks!

Comment

If it's going to be used like a truck I'd lean toward heavier. The cost savings won't mean much when you have to replace it because it looks like something from a war zone.

I would also be careful about mounting it. Aluminum bolted to the steel frame could be an issue with galvanic corrosion. May want to put some sort of isolation between the steel and aluminum or at the very least make sure everything steel is painted.

Comment

metal interaction

Good point about corrosion and the overall support. I'm rethinking going with 1/4 steel diamond plate, on 1/2 x 2" steel channel to give me the 3/4 full bed dimension. That way I can carry the concentrated weight and avoid the corrosion, ill still use a thin anti squeak washer will stay close to the 3/4 to 15/16 bed thickness. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X