Heater Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater Help

I cant really seem to find a definant answer to my heater delema , so Ive come to the experts.

My 49 B1 PW has what I now know is a Model 36 heater , which I had assumed was aftermarket untill recently.

The model 36 works fine , but has no provision for a defroster ?

I also have a complete Model 61 form my "50" parts truck that I had planned on using.

First off , would the model 61 be correct for a 49 B1 ?
    Second , the motor for the model 61 was rusted beyond repair , what can I use for a replacment 6 volt moter ?

Will the model 36 motor work or am I out of luck ?
    Or should I just keep the 36 and forget the whole deal ?

Thanks in advance guys.

Originally posted by WARWAGON41 View Post
    I cant really seem to find a definant answer to my heater delema , so Ive come to the experts.

My 49 B1 PW has what I now know is a Model 36 heater , which I had assumed was aftermarket untill recently.

The model 36 works fine , but has no provision for a defroster ?

I also have a complete Model 61 form my "50" parts truck that I had planned on using.

First off , would the model 61 be correct for a 49 B1 ?
    Second , the motor for the model 61 was rusted beyond repair , what can I use for a replacment 6 volt moter ?

Will the model 36 motor work or am I out of luck ?
    Or should I just keep the 36 and forget the whole deal ?

Thanks in advance guys.
    Yes, the model 36 is aftermarket....well...sort of. They were marketed by MoPar and available from the dealers. So, they are technically not original factory equipment and thus could be considered aftermarket.

Does it say "Model 36" on it? There were other heaters that were very close to the Model 36, but did not say Model 36 on them, and possibly may have been made by whatever company made the Model 36 for MoPar. Though they have a strong resemblence to the 36, most parts will not interchange.

A true Model 36 should have a rectangular shaped defroster port exiting on the passenger side. If there is no port on that side could it have been cut off and covered with a piece of sheetmetal? A diverter box attaches to this port and the duct hoses attach to the two nipples on the diverter box.

A model 61 has the defroster port, diverter box, and duct hoses on the driver's side. The diverter box off of the model 61 "may" fit onto the defroster port of the model 36. I do not believe the motors will interchange between the two heaters, but I have never tried. The heater core in the 61 can be replaced by any competent radiator shop. The heater core in the 36 is an unusual half-moon shaped assembly. I believe you wuld be hard pressed to find a new replacement.

I do not remember exactly what year the 61 first appeared in a MoPar parts list, but '49 sounds about right. Since they were available through the dealer, either should be "correct" for your truck.

Comment

Thanks Clint !
      I havnt yet pulled the heater out , but from what I can tell it has never been tampered with and doesnt appear to have any defroster port.
      Cant see much from underneth and the original glove box liner is still in place
      It looks like the pictures of the model 36 that Ive seen , its kind of a tannish color , but it has no markings in the front .

I looks great and works as good as I would expect it ever did , only with out the window defrosting.
      It all apears to have been with the truck since new or nearly new.
      I bet your right and its a generic model 36 copy of some sorts.

If I can get the model 61 working Ill pull the other one out and post some pics and any name/numbers I can find on it

It seems odd , the cab has dual factory visors and dual arm rests so I guessed it would be a "delux " ??? but no factory heat , maybe.

I really like the looks of the model 61 (if I can find a motor) and the extra knobs under the dash kinda dressup the old girl

Thanks so much for the help !

Comment

For reference my 1949 PW has the MoPar Model 61 heater, dated Jan 30 1949.

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Working...
        X