Windshield Regulator Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield Regulator Help

My windshield regulator has a couple teeth on one gear that are bent and not meshing with the other gear. I understand this is a fairly common issue and I'm wondering what people have done to fix the gears. My first thought is to heat and bend the teeth back into shape but I'm worried about the pot metal becoming weak and breaking, either during or after the bend. I've seen the thread on removing the gear but nothing on bending the teeth. Are there replacement gears? I think I saw that someone filed new ones out of brass but I'm hoping there is something easier.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Bluto92 View Post
    My windshield regulator has a couple teeth on one gear that are bent and not meshing with the other gear. I understand this is a fairly common issue and I'm wondering what people have done to fix the gears. My first thought is to heat and bend the teeth back into shape but I'm worried about the pot metal becoming weak and breaking, either during or after the bend. I've seen the thread on removing the gear but nothing on bending the teeth. Are there replacement gears? I think I saw that someone filed new ones out of brass but I'm hoping there is something easier.
    A couple years ago, someone was making real nice stainless steel reproductions of these gears. I bought a set, but I'm not sure if they are still available. Check the archives on the dodgepowerwagon.com site for more information on the guys who were selling the reproduction gears.

Trying to bend the gear teeth back is pretty much a waste of time.

Comment

Gears

Looks like Mike Wilson was making gears for at least 6 years but stopped 2 years ago. I can't tell that anyone else is making them currently. Guess I'll check VPW on Monday. Does anyone have an extra set they might sell?

Comment

There are a number of custom computerized manufacturing sites on the web now. You simply send them a drawing of the part you need and specify the materials. They will cut out the part using whatever process is best.

The gears I got were laser cut and de-burred. Really nice items. Much better than the original gears.

I don't know how much it would cost to get new gears cut or how many gears you would have to order to get them down to a reasonable per unit cost. But, maybe someone (not me, I have everything I need) should look into ordering a batch.

Comment

replacement gear

Hi

I have found one extra from back then when made this for my self
          I can make one more if you interested
          I made it thicker so it last for a while
          E mail me and I can send you pictures
          Zlaszlovszky@clearwire.net

Zoli

Comment

Gears

Hey Thanks, Zoli. I appreciate the effort. I was able to find a set of laser cut gears so I'll try those first. If they don't work out I'll be emailing you. Thanks again.

Comment

Update

Well I finally tracked down some laser cut gears and was able to restore my windshield regulator this weekend. With a good deal of deburring I was able to get the gears meshing nicely. The rebuild went as smoothly as the archive tutorial suggested and a great feeling of joy and pride for accomplishing this first of many feats was tempered only by the obvious newbiesque quality of the work. Luckily the dash will hide anything I wouldn't want to show and the good thing is - IT WORKS.

Comment

Working...
              X