Cab interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab interchange

Hi all, relative newbie here. I've restored a few antique chevy trucks but I've always had a special place in my heart for the old Power Wagons. Last year I bit the bullet and bought a pair of 67 WM300s and then a complete chassis of a 56 complete minus the cab and bed. I gave one of the 67's to my father, and kept the other one.

The one I have has an excellent frame, doors, and immaculate front fenders. It is missing the bed, most of the interior, and the engine is half torn apart.
    My first order of business is to locate a better cab, as the one there is really rotted through and has some major dents in the roof.

I read somewhere that regular dodge pickups had the same cab, starting in '39, but the pictures I see online seem to show a lot more sheetmetal below the doors than there is on the Power Wagons. Anybody have any insight on that?
    Any info is much appreciated.
    Thank you!
    -Tim

Rust Buster,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Power Wagons!

The pick-up cabs did have a taller piece of sheet metal below the doors, but that can be changed or shortened. there is also a small filler panel just above it at the front fenders that the PW's have that the PU's don't. the other issue will be the fuel filler hole in the PU cab that you will have to fill. Several have done this and if that's the cab you find, go for it.

Will
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Will,
      Thanks for the quick response! I think you're right, I'll have to take what I can find, neither of them are plentiful. I'm used to 67-72 chevy trucks and you can't go anywhere without bumping into parts for those...the PWs are like finding a needle in a haystack!

Comment

cabs

Also the floors are flat in the civilian cabs which will interfear with the tranny.

Comment

I bought a cab from vintage about 4 months ago.....Reasonable price and great shipping rate...To ship from Iowa to buffalo NY was only arou $165...

Comment

Really? Do you have to call them for current inventory? Do you mind telling my around how much it was?
            Thanks,
            -Tim

Comment

$700 for the cab.... no doors,or floorboards....I think each one is differant as to the price vs. condition

Comment

Finally got around to calling them and they say they don't have any. Also asked them if they had any PTOs and they don't have any of those either.

Looking more and more like it is easier to spend a bit more and get a whole parts truck rather than holding out for just a cab....but of course as soon as I do that, the next day I'll find a decent cab for sale!

Comment

cab

Rust buster, where are you located? I have a 1952 cab / frame/ chassis that I
                  would sell all or parts. The cab itself would have the proper geometry for your 67. It has no rust, but is relatively beat up. Located in Bozeman, MT, but I am selling other trucks, and one is going to California next month. Matt Ely, elyoneone@yahoo.com

Comment

Also watch getting a 1939 truck cab as the door latches are different. If you get one of those make sure the doors are good enough to use as they are harder to come by.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin in Ohio View Post
                      Also watch getting a 1939 truck cab as the door latches are different. If you get one of those make sure the doors are good enough to use as they are harder to come by.

Does this problem carry over in newer models (40, 41, 42 and so on) or is it only related to the 1939 model?

Are the 1/2 military and civilian war time closed cabs the same and are they interchangeable with the 1-ton post war cabs?
                      Last edited by frippe123; 06-28-2014, 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by frippe123 View Post
                        Does this problem carry over in newer models (40, 41, 42 and so on) or is it only related to the 1939 model?

Are the 1/2 military and civilian war time closed cabs the same and are they interchangeable with the 1-ton post war cabs?

It's just the 1939 cabs. All the WC 1/2 tons I've seen had the later style latches. The earlier VC military series I'm not sure on. So far, the 3 VC trucks I've seen in person all had the later latches.

Comment

Thanks Kevin, Will stay clear of the -39 cabs.

Comment

Working...
                          X