Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While I have the head and manifolds off....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tappets

I believe it was Rock Auto that had supposidly new tappets on their website a while back; may still be there. I'd want some proof before ordering however.

Comment

tappets

Thanks Charles! Will take a look at their web site.
      Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
      2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by 53Crusher View Post
        Matt- I am in similar situation as you. In the middle of complete engine build and can't seem to find any tappets other than the oversize ones from Vintage. Hope to install NOS tappets with same size if I can find any. Anyway, I found a picture and description of the reamer tool. Might help you locate one.
        Thanks for the information! This will help in my search to find a factory reamer, should I be unable to find a machine shop to do it. I actually do want to install oversize lifters, as my lifter bores are worn well beyond specified limits. I haven't been able to work on the truck very much lately due to work and other priorities, but at least I did order the oversize lifters and make progress toward removing the engine from the truck. They lifters are NOS 0.008" oversize. I am still trying to find a shop that will ream or hone the bores oversize. I haven't done any looking lately, but will get back to it soon. I hope to remove the engine this weekend, and even if I never find someone to bore them oversize, at least I will have good access to the engine to clean it, do the reaming myself, replace the valve guides and have a shop perform a 3-angle valve seat grind, and possibly deck the block if my flatness measurements point out any need for it.

If I cannot find a shop to enlarge the lifter bores, then I will continue to look for the factory hand reamer with your info to help me. Alternatively, I have found a supplier of reamers who offers reamers in 0.0005" (half-thousandths) increments, and they can supply one with a pilot to fit into the existing bores, and also a custom diameter stem that will fit closely in the valve guide bores once the guides are removed. Between the pilot one end and the stem on the opposite end acting as guides, this SHOULD ensure a good, straight ream to the new oversize. This outfit will make it and send it to me for about $200. To a lot of folks, it would not be worth it to pay that kind of money for something that may not be driven more than 2000 - 3000 miles per year, but for me, I want to get everything as right as I can, and this price is not out of line to do it.

Comment

Working...
        X