Front Axle Shaft Wear Sleeve & Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle Shaft Wear Sleeve & Seal

I took the right front axle shaft out of my '49 Power Wagon tonight for routine cleaning and re-lubing and found that the inner shaft has a patch of rust on the journal. It looks like it is just barely inboard of (i.e., next to) the part of the shaft that rides on the seal, but it's hard to tell for sure, and it's a bit too close to it for my comfort.

I used a file to remove most of the corrosion, and could probably work at it a little more to get rid of it all, followed by polishing with 400-grit sandpaper. However, I was wondering if a wear sleeve is available to fit onto the shaft. If so, will the sleeved shaft still fit into the bronze bushing, and fit loosely enough to allow lubrication? Will the seal still fit? The seal seemed to be a very tight fit over the shaft as it is.

Also, I believe modern rubber seals are available for this, but I have been under the impression that leather seals, if they are in good condition and properly prepared, are more forgiving of imperfect seal surfaces. That would be more a concern if I decide not install a sleeve. Considering that I RARELY use 4-wheel drive and the truck has lockout hubs, I wonder if polishing the shaft and using a leather seal would be an acceptable approach?

I would polish the shaft and use a modern seal. I believe it is a reverent and loving myth that leather seals are better than rubber. I am not giving you a bad time here, as I can enjoy the romance in that sentiment. I just don't think it is backed up by fact.

Given a choice, use a proper seal with a contemporary, rubber seal lip. By proper seal I am meaning one that is dimensioned correctly for diameter and thickness. You now also see multiple lip seals for some applications that no leather seal can match.

I have fond memories of Chicago Rawhide.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thanks, Gordon. I worked a little more this evening to get the surface free of rust pitting. Didn't quite get finished. Hopefully I won't have to take off too much to do it. Fortunately, seals are flexible and I believe they will accomodate some amount of shaft out-of-roundness, if it's not more than a few thousandths. I will take diameter measurements at various points around the repaired area when I am finished, in order to see how out-of-round it ends up being. And as I said, I will not be using the 4-wheel drive much.

I measured the OD of the shaft and the ID of the bushing, and there is only about 0.006 - 0.007" clearance, which I'm sure would not be enough to accomodate a wear sleeve. So unless I want to have the shaft turned down, or the bushing opened up and use a different seal, it looks like some hand re-work is the only option at present.

Comment

Working...
      X