Stolen PW Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen PW Parts

Sometime in the last week or so, the following parts were stolen from the outdoor area where I keep the Kempner Power Wagon Museum parts trucks:

(1) Right and left front fenders; very straight and rust free
    (2) Hood, all four panels; straight, rust free, and all latches in perfect order
    (3) Radiator shell; straight and rust free with a three or four inch shallow dent on the left upper part - easily fixed
    (4) Guard (grill); upper for use with winch, straight and rust free
    (5) Radiator Support

I removed these parts from a '51 - '54 PW. Their condition was so good that I was going to be able to use them without having to do any body work or special surface preparation. I did not need the radiator shell but it could have been easily fixed.

These parts were in above average condition, and obviously were carefully selected from the available items. There were other items that certainly would have been taken if these parts were simply stolen to take to the scrap yard.

I find it hard to believe they were stolen by anyone in the Power Wagon family.

Can you say "Rat Rod"?

The Kempner Power Wagon Museum is located about 60 miles north of Austin, Texas. I would appreciate all of you watching for these parts to show up for sale or to appear on a vehicle at a car show or swap meet.

Paul Cook 512-932-2377 txpwrwgn@centurylink.net

Man, that's rough. I sure hope they don't sell the stuff to a scrapyard for the price of the metal. People stupid enough to steal things are usually stupid enough to take valuable truck parts and sell them for a fraction of their market price as scrap iron.

I'll keep my eyes open. Hope you find them.

Comment

Paul, I will give you some exposure in the magazine on this issue if you wish. Send me an email if you want me to run something for you.

What you say about them selecting parts from among other suggests to me it was not a scrap deal, and sheet metal is not worth that much anyway.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

This kind of stuff kills me. Assuming he/she stole these parts to complete a project, what in the world is the thief going to say when he/she finishes the truck? Can they honestly stand back with great pride and a clear conscience and delight in the beauty of the truck they just finished?

I would feel sick every time I looked at it.

Comment

I lost some parts, but I'm sad for your loss.

Through the years, I have met many of you Power Wagon folks face-to-face. I think I am the only one who ever attended six Power Wagon rallies in one year (Georgia, California, Iowa, Massachusetts, Texas, and West Virginia) and got to meet folks who we never saw at Iowa. Some of you have slept under my roof. There are many more with whom I have had telephone conversations. And then there are many more of you with whom I have shared the Power Wagon experience on line in the various excellent forums. There is not one of you that I would suspect of this.

Those of you who know me also know that if one of my Power Wagon friends needed something I had to spare, I'd sell it right, do a trade, or even give it to them.

In fact, the stolen parts had been removed from a complete rolling chassis I gave to a young “newbie” who had a nice Power Wagon and discovered that the frame had been cracked and poorly welded. I figured I could afford to help him for free since I still had those parts to use or sell.

Sometimes, we regret being nice. If I hadn't given the frame away, those parts would not have been so easy to carry off. I guess that's why I feel pretty bad about this whole thing. I would really hate to think it was a Power Wagon guy. But, I did another look and discovered that a complete 3/4 ton WC windshield in usable condition is also missing. It is still possible that it could have gone to a "Rat Rod" but more and more it seems this thief made his selections from a Power Wagon shopping list.

I will still keep the Kempner Power Wagon Museum doors wide open, weather permitting. I will still show visitors my running trucks, my project trucks, and my parts trucks. I will still share what I know about Power Wagons with anyone who asks.

But I will be sad because the joy I feel doing this will never be what it was. I will be even more sad because I won’t have that former level of joy to share with all of you. I am most sad because all of you will have to wonder if your Power Wagon friend might be a thief.

Comment

Paul,
            I am assuming that you have let the local authorities know. I think that and any local publicity about the theft you can get are your best bet. Keeping an eye on the internet can't hurt either. I would also be fairly confidant that the thief or thieves is/are fairly youthful. Keep in mind that someone capable of being this stupid once is probably likely to continue to be stupid which can lead to their being caught.
            The loss of the items is painful because they are not just everyday things. They were collected because of a connection you have for them that has dimensions beyond that of mere price. That said, sometimes the worse facet of such a theft is waking up from the "that can't happen to me, here" weltanschauung (a liberal use of the term I admit) that we all so often have about where we live.
            When I lived on my farm years ago and had no neighbors within half a mile, I never took any precautions of any kind against being robbed. My house and barns and usually most of my vehicles, equipment, and tools were all right along the road that ran by. In thirteen years I had things stolen twice (nothing major.) In each case it was by people I had helped who had become stuck or broken down up the road and I was the first house they came to when they had to walk out for help. It was very disturbing because I just couldn't understand it in any rational way.
            I am sorry that you have had this bitter experience. None of those who enjoy power wagons like yourself and those you have met along the way who feel likewise could do something like this and I hope you realize that we all share a horror of such an act.
            DavidGB
            PS In your description of the stolen parts, the dent in the grill share could be useful information in helping anyone identify your parts from others. What you need is at least one other "unique" identifying feature that you and the police are the only ones in the know of. Right now, should the thief see your description he knows what to fix or hide so your parts are not necessarily yours.

Comment

As one of the Texas newbies that Paul has graciously taken under a wing I can attest to the generosity of time, knowledge and PW sickness counseling he has given to anyone who asks. It's a shame to think that his dedication and zeal for this hobby will be tarnished by some lowlife thief. Thank you, Paul, for all you've done for me personally. I'd still be wandering around on E-Bay if if wasn't for your insight and direction. Of course you probably fast forwarded my sickness 10 years with all your museum pieces. Keep the faith!

David

Comment

Grief Counseling - AND A WARNING

The theft of Power Wagon parts at the Kempner Power Wagon Museum had me very depressed because of the possibility that it involved some of the greatest people I know - my friends in the Power Wagon community. This saddened me more than the loss of the parts

Yesterday, I examined the area in the company of a good friend and discovered where a fence of a neighbor several places away had been cut and the thieves had driven across several properties to sneak onto my land. We found foot prints and tire tracks of more than one vehicle. The footprints where the driver of one vehicle exited the truck were small suggesting they belonged to a female of unknown age since they were too small for a boy of driving age.

More than once I expressed my sadness that the theft of Power Wagon parts pointed to Power Wagon folks. My friend wisely pointed out that there was nothing but Power Wagon parts for them to take. Obviously this was a prank by a bunch of kids. So, this was not exactly Grief Counseling but it has been therapeutic for me. I am glad that the cloud of doubt is lifted and I can once again feel the unrestricted joy of sharing this hobby with all of you.

He also pointed out that knowledge of these parts was not limited to Museum visitors that I had shown around. My parts trucks are concealed from the view of people driving by my place but they can easily be located using Google Earth. I just checked and paths to get to the trucks through the trees are also shown clearly. I’m sure that this imagery can also be loaded into one of the many electronic devices many people carry.

I must also share a warning that our high tech world has provided thieves with advanced means to victimize all of you. Check out your own part of the world with the view from space. The dates of the imagery are shown. The imagery for my area was updated October 28, 2010.

Comment

A little good news

Kempner is a small town with about 1,200 residents. There are several city type subdivisions but most of us have four to fifteen acres in keeping with our rural beginnings. We have one paid policeman who is the Chief, and three unpaid Reserve Officers who serve to maintain their law enforcement credentials.

While the theft of my Power Wagon parts would not be considered a major crime in some places, it becomes a big deal in an area that does not have much crime. When I called the Chief to report the theft, he told me he was working several cases similar to mine. The Chief works on a varying schedule, as do the Reserve Officers This morning, I ran into him at the local coffee shop (no donuts were involved) and provided him with a few more details.

Less than two hours later, he called me to meet him at our local scrap yard to ID some items that might have been mine. Most radiators that come into the scrap yard are cut up to separate the metals. This also makes them hard to identify. Among my stolen parts were two Power Wagon radiators - the ones with the tapered upper tank, and a one honeycomb radiator from a WC ½ ton military. I examined several containers of cut up radiator cores but could not tell one piece from another without the distinctive tank. Then, the Chief slid back one of the last containers and there was the honeycomb, ½ ton radiator - totally intact except for a place in the core where a three-quarter diameter rod end or bolt head collided with it. We still don’t know what happened to the rest of my stuff.

The two boys and one girl (I told you so!) who brought the radiators in - along with some aluminum wheels - were on video tape with the items and signing the receipt.

At least one of the boys is in foster care at a neighbor across the street. He already has a “juvie” record. The Chief asked if I would press charges and I said, “Yes”. I am not sure where this leaves the boy. I feel bad about him, but my first responsibility is to protect good people. The only thing that could change my mind would be 100% replacement and restitution to include the neighbor’s fence that they cut.

Comment

Glad to hear it.

I to tryed to help a boy when he hit my wifes car with me in it .The lies started as soon as he opened his mouth. In the end I got a ticket as well . He got 3 . The parents we just as bad as the boy. You cant feel bad for the path people CHOOSE . Prosecute him with no remorse , you may save someone else in the future from far worse. My 2cents

Comment

Paul,

Glad some progress has been made, hope more parts are recovered. I agree you have no choice but to press charges, or the crimes will very likely continue and escalate.

Good luck,
                      Will
                      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                      Will
                      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

I think both you and Mark have the right idea. Ask for total replacement or return of the parts and repair of the fence. If that doesn't work out, prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. I would say that they need to learn, but if this kid has a record already, then he's clearly a slow learner.

Comment

I agree, burn them a new one; I'll assure you they will laugh in your face if given the chance. You are very fortunate in that the local officers were even willing to try. Around here, the cops are as bad or worse than the thieves, they couldn't care less. The thieves know that, so they don't mind pushing their luck.

Consider yourself very fortune as it certainly sounds like you at least have a leg to stand on in all this.

Comment

Working...
                          X