Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing New Bed Wood Question

Hi All:

I will be installing new bed wood that I am having a friend machine in his mill shop for my 1948 B-1 FFPW. I have ordered the bed strips and hardware from Mar-K.

Am I correct in assuming that I can position the bed cross members on the frame and then mark the wood strips, before drilling them. I would then attach them to the cross members. With this done I would bolt the bed sides and bed front on last.

My question is: I have seen accounts where other PW owners have assembled the cross members, bed sides and front on saw horses and then attached the wood to the cross members. This results in a fully assembled bed that requires several people to attach to the truck. Which is the correct method?

Thanks

Mike Fishman
    awaassociates@verizon.net
    1948 B-1 PW

Paging Clint Dixon to the white courtesy phone.....
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Bed Strip attachment

Thanks Gordon

Mike

Comment

Mike you will want to assemble your bed sides, header panel and rear valance(cross member) first. Then square it by measuring across corners. I start with the outside boards first adding cross members with the next board and strip. Leave everything loose until the last board is in place. Measure again for squareness before tightening bolts. Once everything is tight the bed can be lifted in place on the frame. Mar-K has directions also if you need a reference.

Comment

Bed Wood Installation

Thanks Ron:
          I appreciate your help.

I was afraid I would have to do it as you
          recommend. I had thought that as I disassembled
          the sides and head panel first leaving the
          floor, I could back track my steps. Sqaring
          the corners is critical though.

Regards

Mike

Comment

Bed

Once assembled you can use a engine hoist and some straps to lift the whole bed by yourself and install. Use a long pipe in the holes at the top of the bed and a strap on each corner, just watch the cab so you dont hit it .

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
              Paging Clint Dixon to the white courtesy phone.....
              Gordon, I have never taken a bed apart or put one together. But thanks for thinking of me! ;^)

Comment

While assembling the bed on stands then lifting it in place is the probably the best method, I assembled mine on the chassis with my helper(wife)

I laid out the cross members, hung the sides, front panel, with a blanket draped over the back of the cab.
                Squared everything up and installed the wood and strips. Marked the wood,removed,drill,reinstalled, and tightened down the fasteners.
                There are couple of bed strip bolts above the fuel tank that are hard to get to, but doable with patience.

TGP
                Attached Files
                WDX & Misc. Pics.
                http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                "47" Dodge WDX WW
                "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                "54" Willys M38A1
                "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Wood Bed Installation Sequence

Thanks Tom:

Glad to see you accomplished this chore.

As the bed side angles lay on top of the wood, I don't see why one couldn't install the bed cross members onto to the chassis, and then install the strips and bed wood. The bed sides can be squared in place if the bolts are left just snugged up and if some sort of temporary wood bracing is used at the
                  corners of the of assembled box.

I think I will go this way

Regards

Mike Fishman
                  1948 B-1 PW

Comment

I'll be interested in how you plan works out Mike. It's still a lot easier to bolt everything together without frames and gas tanks in the way in my opinion. But more power to you and good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X