Oh, boy, more problems - Rear Differential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You must be kidding, right?

Spicer set ups are totally different, their bolts are regular grade 8 fasteners, but not even close to the original type that was used here.

Bear in mind I'm not talking hardware bolts at all, that's why I said stay away from the junk at big box stores.

I didn't know we were called Dodge. Paul Caudell got his bolts from us, we had a good stock of new originals at the time. He used grade 8 nuts that he sourced locally. So Frank, the fact that he told you they came from Dodge; well I'll say this, stretching the truth was not at all out of character for Paul. I knew him very well, as he was always calling us looking for ways to do stuff, and wanting to know how we did it. Paul's bigger problem was he wanted someone else to do all the work in making a system come together, then tell him how to do it so he could market it, while he answered the phone and counted the money. That should be enough said to explain how his system worked. We finally just distanced ourself from him and his company, MARS; it went down hill from there. The truth of the matter was that Paul didn't even know enough about differential building to send proper installation instruction and specs along with the new 4.89 gear sets he sold. We had to help him get straightened out on that way back in the early days because people kept breaking the ends off of the new pinion shafts when they torqued the nut.

We also worked out a clutch system for his Hercules repower engines, along with a number of other issues. I even sent him one of his own Hercules diesel installation manuals with all the mistakes in it highlighted with corrections, so he could print an accurate manual for future customers. Yes sir, Paul in his mind was really on top of the situation; but it was only after someone else pointed things out to him. The Hercules thing would have taken off in a much larger way had he really been interested in jumping into it. That never occurred to him it seemed, he was just a salesman marketing do it yourself kits.

When we started our Cummins repowers, Paul was among the first callers; not to buy an engine, but wanting to become a partner in the effort. I just chuckled to myself and said we were doing just fine on our own. Next thing I heard was complaining because we killed the market for his Hercules. Actually he killed the Hercules military diesel repower himself; just didn't know enough, and people soon realized that; plus in the end after the original Hercules Company went down, he had no system of supply. Tried doing it with rebuilt engines built from cores picked up randomly, but that never really flew.

Need more info? Just ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
      Spicer set ups are totally different, their bolts are regular grade 8 fasteners, but not even close to the original type that was used here.

Bear in mind I'm not talking hardware bolts at all, that's why I said stay away from the junk at big box stores.

I didn't know we were called Dodge. Paul Caudell got his bolts from us, we had a good stock of new originals at the time. He used grade 8 nuts that he sourced locally. So Frank, the fact that he told you they came from Dodge; well I'll say this, stretching the truth was not at all out of character for Paul. I knew him very well, as he was always calling us looking for ways to do stuff, and wanting to know how we did it. Paul's bigger problem was he wanted someone else to do all the work in making a system come together, then tell him how to do it so he could market it, while he answered the phone and counted the money. That should be enough said to explain how his system worked. We finally just distanced ourself from him and his company, MARS; it went down hill from there. The truth of the matter was that Paul didn't even know enough about differential building to send proper installation instruction and specs along with the new 4.89 gear sets he sold. We had to help him get straightened out on that way back in the early days because people kept breaking the ends off of the new pinion shafts when they torqued the nut.

We also worked out a clutch system for his Hercules repower engines, along with a number of other issues. I even sent him one of his own Hercules diesel installation manuals with all the mistakes in it highlighted with corrections, so he could print an accurate manual for future customers. Yes sir, Paul in his mind was really on top of the situation; but it was only after someone else pointed things out to him. The Hercules thing would have taken off in a much larger way had he really been interested in jumping into it. That never occurred to him it seemed, he was just a salesman marketing do it yourself kits.

When we started our Cummins repowers, Paul was among the first callers; not to buy an engine, but wanting to become a partner in the effort. I just chuckled to myself and said we were doing just fine on our own. Next thing I heard was complaining because we killed the market for his Hercules. Actually he killed the Hercules military diesel repower himself; just didn't know enough, and people soon realized that; plus in the end after the original Hercules Company went down, he had no system of supply. Tried doing it with rebuilt engines built from cores picked up randomly, but that never really flew.

Need more info? Just ask.
      The only message I am getting from this post is that you and and Paul Caudell did not see eye-to-eye.

Paul attended a lot of Power-Wagon Rallys. I was never at his shop, I never saw his business side, and I never bought anything from him. But, he was a friendly enthusiast who seemed to enjoy the trucks, meeting people with similar interests, and sharing ideas.

I have never met you, seen your operation, or bought anything from you either. But, I considered Paul a friend. I believe Frank did too.

It is hard for a dead man to defend himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
        The only message I am getting from this post is that you and and Paul Caudell did not see eye-to-eye.

Paul attended a lot of Power-Wagon Rallys. I was never at his shop, I never saw his business side, and I never bought anything from him. But, he was a friendly enthusiast who seemed to enjoy the trucks, meeting people with similar interests, and sharing ideas.

I have never met you, seen your operation, or bought anything from you either. But, I considered Paul a friend. I believe Frank did too.

It is hard for a dead man to defend himself.
        Clint, it really wasn't that we didn't see eye to eye, or that we didn't get along, never had any confrontation at all. It was just as I said, as I figured these things out that I mentioned, I began to realize how any dealings would have to work if we did get along in any sort of business venture, so we simply distanced ourselves from that for obvious reasons. In short, I didn't care to get involved where I saw inevitable problems coming up. Also in short, I think you said it all when you said you never saw his business side, I did.

Paul had a way of being your friend, it started out for me the same way exactly. I guess I got close enough to see the side of things I saw, and maybe you and many others never did get that close. All I can do is tell you like it happened in the dealings we did have; you can believe what you want, I'm not going out of my way to prove things, although in some instances I could. I know how it is in situations when you only have opportunity to see one side. I consider you a friend here on the forum, always have, and always will unless I had dealings that proved otherwise. That is the way it worked out with Paul and MARS. Like you said he is gone now, it isn't an issue anyway. Really I got a little long winded in saying that Paul got ring gear bolts from us; that brought the other things I mentioned back to mind, nothing more. Mopar may have these bolts available today like Frank suggested. I don't know the answer to that one, I was simply saying that without a doubt, I know where Paul's came from.

We have tested the strength of new original bolts as compared to new Lake Erie grade 8 bolts; there is no comparision, the Lake Erie grade 8 far surpassed the originals in strength. We have used many without issue. I'm just passing along factual info that I thought would help Matt out with his bolts, all concerned can proceed in replacing their bolts with whatever they wish or not. That is up to the individual.

Comment

I didnt know Paul

I didnt know paul but as for Charles , myself, Chip H. and Peggy O. were looking at a truck (Harrys) near Charles shop and stopped by totaly unexpected at lunch time. Charles stopped eating to come out and talk truck with us for over a hr. We saw his shop and his work as he was doing a M37 at the time. We came away VERY impressed and cant wait to go see him again, althow we would like to see him do some update on his web site ( maybe you can get your boy on that charles) HAHA.

Comment

Well, I think I've confirmed that I dodged a bullet. I removed the remaining bolts from the ring gear. They all came out without a fight, using just a 3/8" drive ratchet and my foot placed on the input yoke to keep the pinion from turning. In fact, before loosening the nuts, I was able to use the ratchet to very easily turn each nut and bolt until the bolt head butted up against the inside of the ring gear. In other words, they were pretty loose.

Once I got them out, I took a long, hard look at the bolt holes in the case and the ring gear. I could see signs of wear in a few of the holes, in some instances covering an area about between 1/8 - 1/4 of the circumference, mostly in the ring gear holes, but the wear was not very deep. There was no discernable elongation of the holes.

After nearly 20 years, it appeared that the red Loctite was no longer serving its purpose, considering how easily the nuts came loose.

Based on this, I think I will be ok to lightly deburr the holes by running a 3/8" drill bit through them by hand (no drill) and installing some new Grade 8 bolts and center locking nuts, more Red Loctite, and probably even the factory nut locks, all for good measure.

Comment

I'll make this suggestion; remove the carrier from the housing, and remove the ring gear from the carrier.

Reasoning, the holes in the carrier have most certainly pulled leaving a slight ridge around each hole. That ridge will keep the ring gear from sitting flat on the flange all the way around. This will cause the assembly not to run true as it turns making the best gear set up impossible. With the ring gear removed, lightly and carefully file just to remove the ridge from around the bolt holes so the gear will lay flat all the way around. Very throughly clean the flange side of the gear, and any filings off the flange, just a tiny particle trapped between the gear and mounting flange will ruin the show in a huge way.

Before you remove the carrier adjusting nuts from each side, mark their exact position carefully, when you put everything back, place the nuts in exactly the same position so the gear set up will be the same. This is possible as long as the bearings are not removed from the carrier. When reassembly is complete, run a simple visual tooth contact pattern just as a double check measure, you should be good to go, assuming that the set up was correct in the beginning of course. Gear backlash should be in the .008" - .010" range when checked with a dial indicator. Check at 5 equally spaced intervals around the ring gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
                I'll make this suggestion; remove the carrier from the housing, and remove the ring gear from the carrier.

Reasoning, the holes in the carrier have most certainly pulled leaving a slight ridge around each hole. That ridge will keep the ring gear from sitting flat on the flange all the way around. This will cause the assembly not to run true as it turns making the best gear set up impossible. With the ring gear removed, lightly and carefully file just to remove the ridge from around the bolt holes so the gear will lay flat all the way around. Very throughly clean the flange side of the gear, and any filings off the flange, just a tiny particle trapped between the gear and mounting flange will ruin the show in a huge way.

Before you remove the carrier adjusting nuts from each side, mark their exact position carefully, when you put everything back, place the nuts in exactly the same position so the gear set up will be the same. This is possible as long as the bearings are not removed from the carrier. When reassembly is complete, run a simple visual tooth contact pattern just as a double check measure, you should be good to go, assuming that the set up was correct in the beginning of course. Gear backlash should be in the .008" - .010" range when checked with a dial indicator. Check at 5 equally spaced intervals around the ring gear.
                This crossed my mind after I posted last night, but I was uncertain about removing the carrier, knowing it might alter the gear mesh pattern. Based on your description, it sounds like it shouldn't be too big a deal to go ahead do this.

Thanks....

Comment

Working...
                X