Manifold cleanup and paint color??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manifold cleanup and paint color??

Now the 251 is out of my 66 WM300 and heading to Jasper I'm cleaning up the manifold and thinking of painting/ powdercoating. Jasper is painting the engine dodge red per the color chart for the period. I've checked a number of sites and color charts and realize the FFPW manifold was not provided painted. Any thoughts on what color would be 'correct' and match what some of the engines of the period were painted; dodge red, siver, or black. I'm open to ideas. Thanks.

Apparently, unpainted would be the most correct. However, since you want to paint the manifold, you might try Bill Hirsch Cast Iron Gray, or perhaps the Bright Silver as was used on the 230 c.i. engine manifolds.

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.a...CST%20IRN%20GR
    John

Comment

I'm with John,although I'm pretty sure they were painted engine color as the entire engine was painted at once,including over spray on the exhaust manifold, then the accessory's were added,Carb,Gen,Starter Etc.
      TGP
      WDX & Misc. Pics.
      http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
      "47" Dodge WDX WW
      "52" Dodge M-37 WW
      "54" Willys M38A1
      "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
      "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
      "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
      "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
      "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
      "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Good options.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning toward either the engine color (Dodge Red) or a flat gray powdercoat.

The engine bay is being repainted the truck color (a yet unidentified dodge green). It's very close to Kenai Gary's truck color, but I never figured out the real Dodge paint name for certain.

I might do a few photoshops to get a better idea of how it would look in the bay.

Comment

Originally posted by im02crazy View Post
          Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning toward either the engine color (Dodge Red) or a flat gray powdercoat.

The engine bay is being repainted the truck color (a yet unidentified dodge green). It's very close to Kenai Gary's truck color, but I never figured out the real Dodge paint name for certain.

I might do a few photoshops to get a better idea of how it would look in the bay.
          Red engine and green engine bay will look like Christmas every time you open the hood! Not saying this is good or bad, just making a (hopefully) funny comment.

Comment

merry manifold?

True, maybe I need to paint theb manifold silver to really kick it into the scheme. As long as I'm not compelled to buy a tree farm I can live with it. I wud have painted truck orange but want to stay orig color. I have considered doing the bay and firewall in gloss black. I still have some time to decide b 4 engine comes back.

Comment

manifold coating

I have seen an ad in hemmings for a company who will coat your manifold in porcelin, also a lot of companies ceramic or jet hot coating headers and motorcycle exhausts, might be worth looking into

Comment

exhaust and intake colors

Thanks for those comments and suggestions. Matt ur right on target with the porcelin. I'm having Cathy at Powder Coat Finishes here in Baltimore do the exhaust in porcelin and the intake in powder. My thinking right now is silver for both, but black is also in consideration. They did a great job on my rims and wheels, I highly recommend them for price and quality, as well as fast turnaround. They don't dallly and kept their promises.
                http://www.powdercoatfinishes.com/services.htm
                Last edited by im02crazy; 02-22-2012, 01:58 PM. Reason: correction and added powdercoater link

Comment

Working...
                X