PTO Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTO Identification

I'm trying to track down a PTO for the later WM300s. I am new to PWs and understand that after Dodge switched t0 the synchro transmissions, it required a new PTO. Can anyone tell me the make and model number for the required PTO?
    Thank you,
    -Tim

Did you look on down the page in the parts for sale?
    Or try the Dodge Power Wagon forum and try to get Tim Holloway's attention. Last I heard he had a couple of them.

Comment

I have a few ptos kicking around

I am no expert on PWs but I have two ptos in My shop I will look to see if I can find some numbers I am thinking that all ptos are very similar what I need is some locking hubs

Comment

They are similar in basic size, shape, and function. But the positioning of the driven gear, the angle of the teeth, the direction of the angle of the teeth, or the absence of angle of the teeth, and many other things dictate whether they will work on the transmission they were designed to work on. I have about 12 ptos in my garage, all different.

Comment

It's not that difficult to find a PTO if you are patient. They are frequently advertised. I got mine for less than $100.

Just make sure it came off a FFPW and it's from a synchro trans. IMO, only buy from the guy who took it off the truck. He should know. The PTO for your trans will have gear teeth that are cut at an angle, not straight across. It's pretty obvious when you look at them.

Also try to get the special PTO locating bolts with the PTO. Again, working with the guy who actually took off the PTO will help.

From what I've heard, it's difficult or impossible to install the PTO without removing the trans. Also, there's an issue regarding setting the correct backlash. This has been discussed several times in forums.

I've decided just to mount my winch and wait for the day I need to drop the trans before I install the PTO.

Comment

Working...
          X