251rebuild: the saga continues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 251rebuild: the saga continues.

Jasper just called and advised that my 251 is too far out spec for rebuild. Seems the main bearings turned in the seats and its way out. Options: (1) get a better block/engine, (2) have them spatter weld and restore to spec. I'm tending to another block. Anybody have a running 251 or good rebuildable block for sale?? Thanks. Dave in Baltimore, MD

If you can't find a 251 an alternative is a chrysler indrustial 265. They were installed in Massey Harris Super "92" combines in the fifty's, and I acquired one from an ag salvage outfit in South Dakota, which I have rebuilt and is installed in my "48 Power Wagon. It is the same size block, mounts, etc. as the 251. Hope this helps and good luck.

Comment

Update

Jasper was able to spatter weld the galled out main journals and are machining them back to spec. Slowly, I turn, step by step, inch by inch.. etc. Rebuild is scheduled for this next week 4/10/12. Decided to go with the stellite valve stems instead of sodium filled- hardness vs heat distribution. hardened valve won.

Comment

Working...
      X